How can I time a screensaver in Windows XP?

Frank January 5, 2012

I have a laptop running Windows XP and I am looking for a simple way to have a screensaver that will come on after a specific delay and run for a set period of time and then disengage as though someone had moved the mouse at and continue to cycle this way until disabled. Is this possible?

1. Frank

Thanks for the help guys. I actually came up with a fairly simple solution that works perfectly for me. I just installed an auto mouse mover; and by coordinating the delay in the mouse move program and the delay with the screen saver start it works perfectly.

perhaps you can use this shutdown scheduler, after install it adds an entry on task manager. Go to run type taskmgr and then look for shutdown, from the drop down menu choose Launches screensaver and then set time

http://www.goldgingko.com/taskmgrpro/shutdownscheduler/index.htm

Hello, for a specific time delay, you could use the screensaver utility provided with windows.  To make a screensaver run for a set period of time and then disengage you will have to find a third party software or try running a schedule task.  To try and setup a scheduled task, do the following:

-- click on start
    -- select search
    -- type the following to get the names of screensavers available:

*.scr

-- record the name of screensaver you want
    -- exit search
    -- click on start
    -- all programs
    -- accesories
    -- system tools
    -- select Scheduled Tasks
    -- click on Add Scheduled Task
    -- click on next
    -- click on Browse
    -- navigate to following folder:

C:WINDOWSSYSTEM32

-- in file name, type name of screensaver you recorded above
    -- click on open
    -- click on Daily and then next
    -- set a start time and make sure that it is set to every day, click on next
    -- enter user name and password twice, click on next
    -- check mark Open advanced properties for this task when I click Finish and then click Finish
    -- under tasks, make sure that task is enabled
    -- click on schedule tab and select a start time
    -- click on advanced
    -- check mark Repeat task
    -- select a time under repeat task
    -- click on Until set the time you want screensaver to finish or you can select duration and set a time
    -- check mark, if the task is still running, sop it at this time
    -- click on ok
    -- click on settings tab
    -- double check settings there and change any if needed
    -- click on apply and the ok

Once task is setup, right click on scheduled task and click on run to test it.