How can I tidy up my website’s redundant files?

Darren Reynolds October 15, 2012

I need some assistance to see if there is a tool that I can run that will analyses my website to see what files are not being used.. ie over the years I have uploaded images and files that now redundant so just want to get rid of them.

I use MS Expression Web 4 to build and administer.

1. Dimal Chandrasiri

first of all, when you maintain a website, use a local copy and upload it using an FTP connection to your web server. Synchronize it well and you'll be left with a copy that's the same as inside the web server. then you can analyze what files are unnecessary.. this is a good practice... easy and time saving.

2. Yiz Borol

Once you've done what Rajaa Chowdhury said, you can easily compare the two directories using this method:

Here's the right way to do it, without the external downloads. It looks like a lot at first, but once you've done it, it's very easy. It works in all Windows versions from 7 back to 95. For our example assume that you're comparing two directories named 'A' and 'B'.
    1. run cmd.exe to get a command prompt. (In Windows 7, the powershell won't work for this, FYI.) Then do it again, so that you have two of them open next to each other.
    2. in each window go to the directories that you want to compare. (Using 'cd' commands. If you're not comfortable with this, then you should probably go with the external utilities, unless you want to learn command prompt stuff.)
    3. type 'dir /b > A.txt' into one window and 'dir /b > B.txt' into the other. You'll now have two text files that list the contents of each directory. The /b flag means bare, which strips the directory listing down to file names only.
    4. move B.txt into the same folder as A.txt.
    5. type 'fc A.txt B.txt'. The command 'fc' means file compare. This will spit out a list of the differences between the two files, with an extra line of text above and below each difference, so you know where they are. For more options on how the output is formatted, type 'fc /?' at the prompt. You can also pipe the differences into another file by using something like 'fc A.txt B.txt > differences.txt'.

copied from MS answers: http://goo.gl/4q4yn

Use HTTrack to copy down your whole website alongwith the whole site map (structure) to analyse what is being used or not.

• Ahmed Khalil

thanks for the information Rajaa

5. Adrian Rea

I have not used expression web before but I am guessing you only upload through this so that which si on your local folder is duplicated on your website?

• Darren Reynolds

Yeah, it doesnt have the facility like dreamweaver had to upload a page and any linked file :(