Why do I get a ‘this connection is untrusted’ warning when logging into my bank accounts?

Daniel Burns July 21, 2011

Whenever I try to log in to any of my credit card banking accounts, I get the advisory “This connection is untrusted”, etc. I have never had this trouble before. What could the problem be as I need to get into these accounts?

1. jonny

I have the same problem. Even when i use another server it still happens. It says that the certificate or something is not valid..

any help on how to fix it...

Jonny, 

if you followed the advice above and it didn't work, I recommend asking a new question. This will give your question some exposure and it will hopefully get you some fresh answers.

Please click the Ask a Question button in the top left of MakeUseOf Answers, fill in the form, and submit your question. Please mention this question, so we don't accidentally refer you back to here. Thank you!

2. Dbflashman2010

It's not just my bank account but  all  credit card accounts, paypal, etc.It happens on both Firefox & Internet explorer. I think all of these have certificates. They can't all be out of date.

Hello, is it your browser giving you this warning? or is it your antivirus?  When you try to access your bank page, is it using https: or http: on the address?

Basically there are three options:
    - the SSL Certificate of your bank was not renewed in time
    - you are victim of some (DNS) high-jacking which leads you to a forged page
    - your browser has a problem

First I would try it with an alternative browser and see if the issue exists there too.

I also suggest to update your Anti-Virus and run a full scan on your system. In you may also want to run the Microsoft Malware removal tool:
    1. click Start > Run (windowskey + R)
    2. type "mrt" and hit enter

If nothing bad was found you should contact your Bank and ask if it's known issue.

Either way I do recommend you not to login until the issue is fixed.