What do you think about my part list for building a new gaming and video editing PC?

Anonymous December 23, 2013

I’m looking at getting a new desktop PC, mainly for doing both video-editing and gaming. Primarily for video editing though. I have found one that I like. However, I’ve seen a fair amount of people saying that its CPU isn’t too good.

I’ll list out is components for you, so you can let me know if I don’t really need to worry about the CPU:

• Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P Motherboard
  • AMD PileDriver Eight Core FX-8350 4.0GHz AM3+ Processor
  • Sapphire Radeon R9 270X 2GB GDDR5 Over Clocked with Boost Graphics Card
  • 8GB GDDR 3 1600MHz ram

If you want to have a good CPU,then choose Intel.AMD is much better in graphics than in processors.The people who are saying that AMD CPU you are referring to is not good,are right on their opinion.
    When you see a lot of people referring to a product as not so good,then you must agree with them.

2. Francisco D

When building such a PC, the greatest worry should be in the graphics card (altough you should check Kannon's answer aswell). I'm no expert in that subject, but you should make your research and see if for a little more money you could find better or not... Search for reviews and comparisons to find the best option. This one is a good start: http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/62321-sapphire-amd-radeon-r9-270-graphics-card/

The difference between AMD & Intel processors is that AMD have excellent graphics processors (GPU) embedded in their chips, and Intel have more powerful proccessors (CPU). If your main purpose of building the PC is for video editing, then your choice, in my opinion, is the AMD rig you asked about, or an i5/i7 setup and a separate graphcis card. The Intel setup will ultimately be more powerful, but also significantly more expensive. In other words, in terms fo value for money what you are proposing to do makes a lot of sense. On the other hand, if you want the most powerful system, you'd need to go for an i7+decent graphics card.

As for gaming, the bottleneck for most (not all) games is the graphic performance, so it's the same story again, but as Kannon rightly points out, there are games that require a lot of CPU power and for those, the Intel setup may be preferable.

For gaming, the FX series of CPU isn't comparable to Intel's Core i7. But most games aren't CPU intensive, so the benefit of packing a i7 isn't very pronounced. However, for CPU intensive games you will definitely get better mileage out of an i7. But in terms of pricing, the Core i5 is closer in performance to the FX-8350. The Core i5 generally outperforms the FX-8350 in most games. But again, most games aren't as CPU intensive as they are GPU intensive.

Video editing is another matter though. The FX-8350 or 8320 put out similar performance as the i7, but only in certain software that takes advantage of the particular kind of multithreaded operation that the 8350/8320 specializes in. If the video editing software isn't optimized for it, Core i7 is a much better CPU. For example, Adobe Premiere CS6 (not earlier versions) CAN make use of the FX series.

So, in short, you absolutely must check to see if your particular video editing software is optimized for use with the FX series of CPU. Otherwise you are much better off with the i7. But if your CPU is optimized, in terms of cost-to-performance, go with the FX series. It's half the price and more durable.