What do you think of the Microsoft Surface Pro 3?

Rajaa C May 21, 2014

What do you think about The Microsoft Surface Pro 3, which was just launched ( http://www.pcworld.com/article/2157163/microsoft-bets-bigger-is-better-with-launch-of-tk-inch-surface-pro.html ) ? Will it be able to replace high end laptops ?

1. Usman M

I think it will do great for much of the daily tasks. except where you need a really good GPU. I believe many games will be playable and some rendering also, but not much serious work there. Apart from that, its everything I want.
    Might not be very successful today, might punch a greater dent into PCs and Tablets if Microsoft slashes at least 30% of the price, or include the latest AMD or NVIDIA graphics chip in there as well. Do both and boom!

You can read Justin Dennis' recent article about the Microsoft Surface 3 Pro here: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/laptop-tablet-killer-microsoft-surface-pro-3-announced/. Seems to be a good contender for an ultra-portable Windows device that can handle most general tasks, both for professionals and basic users.

3. Dave P

It's certainly an improvement over the older Surface models. I'm still not convinced the mainstream public want or need a tablet capable of replacing a laptop, but on first look Microsoft has done a lot right. It'll be interesting to read the reviews in the coming weeks.

Personally, I have a bit of an old-fashioned few about tablets being a portable device for basic tasks and communication (business) as well as entertainment (private). In that perspective I consider it overpowered and overprized.

I guess touch editing and stuff like showcased is a possibility. But unless it is pressure sensitive (I haven't checked the whole coverage) any professional would probably prefer a $80 Wacom Intuos for their work.

Looking at the prize of e.g. the Core i7 model you could easily buy a gamer notebook instead which could even do rendering and stuff.

• Anum T

thanx bud