What is the best media backup solution which will keep the data organised as on the original machine?

Steve C March 26, 2014

What is the best media backup solution that would keep music ,video and photos backed up on an external/NAS drive in the correct folders?

1. Barryherne

You can use the software that creates the whole image of the disk with the same structure of the files. For this purpose, try to use Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/en-eu/personal/pc-backup) that backs up everything you wish and to any place you wish. The tool creates a catalogue of the backed up files and you can easily find what you really need.

I assume by keeping the original structure you mean the backup should consist of the same folder structure and is accessible – not some proprietary format.

I believe most freeware backup and sync tools can do that – create a 1 to 1 copy of the source. You can find some of them in the Best of Windows Software section.
    http://www.makeuseof.com/pages/best-windows-software#toc7

For a sync based copy the setup should be straight forward, source, target, schedule done.
    For a backup based copy you might have to check some of the additional/advanced options like de-duplication or archiving files present on the backup but not on the source.

Let's say you reorganize your media data and run another backup, you might end up having all the files in multiple locations on the external/NAS drive.
    De-duplication is the best choice here to safe space on the backup drive. If that isn't available the way to go would be to archive files not present on the source into a separate folder.

If you're looking for a backup solution (rather than a media management program that will store the data externally), then many file-based backup solutions will work. My own favourite is Cobian Backup which has many backup modes including ones which simply copy the folder structure onto another device. Karen's replicator is another good possibility.

• Steve C

Thanks for the answer,the original question was changed ,I am looking for a solution the will organize or manage the media files onto an external drive as I have a very messed up collection due to changing PC OS and other drives, I want to consolidate my collection and organize it onto a external drive

• Oron J

Given your clarification, either iTunes or Media Monkey will do the job just fine for music and video.
      For photos, there are products such as Picasa which will allow you to organise your photos in a variety of ways, but they will not put them into actual folders for you (difficult to see how they could do that, given that there is no standard way to define albums etc.).