Why is text in Firefox and other programs on my Windows 7 machine so small?

Reinald Nielsen September 5, 2011

Except for text associated with local functions, which is reasonable size, text presented by Firefox etc. is about 1/16-inch high on Compaq P900 monitor. Can’t imagine a machine failure or defect. What can be done to or with Windows 7?

Dell Precision 670 with two dual-processor chips, 16 MB central memory and Windows 7 Home Premium as OS.

1. N984652

Thank you: Mulda, Tina. and Jeffery
    Win7 came installed on an eBay prize I just purchased.  To get back into contact with th Net, I re-installed the machine (XP as OS) to be replaced by the new one.
    Will now get the new machine back in place and follow your suggestions.  Meanwhile, have ordered a backup copy of Win7 and the Missing Manual by Pogue.

Thanks for the update!

So were you able to fix your issue with the new installation? Let us know!

I agree, Mulder. I think it's Reinal's resolution. Since it doesn't sound like you know what resolution your monitor should be (based on your description of it), mess around with the resolutions till one of them looks good.

From my understanding it doesn't just happen in Firefox. However, in Firefox there potentially is an easy fix. Just hold down the [CTRL] key and then use your mouse's scroll wheel to zoom in and out of websites, i.e. making the text bigger or smaller.

4. Mulder

Did you check the preferences for Firefox to see what font sizes are selected? If not, that's the first place to look, and if that's the case, make them bigger (16 px or larger, depending on your personal preferences).

Same thing with Windows 7.

It's also possible that your monitor resolution is set too high, which makes everything appear smaller. Check that and if needed, change the resolution to something lower.