How do I tether a Nokia S40 phone on an old Windows 98 PC?

Nimbu Paani August 24, 2011

I have a really old computer (Pentium MMX 233Mhz, 128MB SDRAM, SiS-530 Mainboard) that runs Windows 98 pretty OK, but nothing superior. Even a hard install of Puppy Linux struggles to a crawl on this thing. A DSL Live CD is not much good on this either, equally slow. Forget Windows 2000 or XP (i even tried them using nLite, all in vain).

My question is: How exactly do I establish a working USB connection from my Nokia 3610 fold to this computer to browse the web? Where do I get the necessary Phone Parent and/or Modem drivers?

This computer just sits in a room, and I’m thinking about putting it to good use by checking emails and some light browsing.

The data cable is a standard CA-101 (Micro USB), and i frequently use my phone to connect to the web on other computers. The trouble is, those computers are always either Windows XP or 7, and Nokia PC Suite installs the required modem drivers like a charm on such OSes.

The last PC Suite for Windows 98 SE was version 5.8, which doesn’t recognize my phone. Puppy Linux has no trouble recognizing my phone’s modem. Couldn’t it be possible to somehow make similar drivers work for my phone in Windows 98?

Oh, by the way, the Nokia 3610 fold is internally almost like Nokia 5130 XpressMusic and 7210 Supernova – they’re all S40 v5 phones.

does it supports other USB ? you might have some usb drivers missing..
    i remember when i had w98.. it dint detect my pendrive...
    also check whether the nokia pc suite supports w98  or not. i think it does.

• Nimbu Paani

Exactly. Windows 98 supports USB, but it does not have the generic drivers built-in. Windows 2000 came with drivers like the USB Mass Storage driver built in.
      To get my pendrive to work on 98, i need to manually specify the location of the appropriate driver.

In my case, i need the right drivers for the USB modem and other devices built into my Nokia mobile phone. The PC Suite would cater to that, but sadly, there is no version for my phone that runs on 98.

I will have to use some other software, or procure & install those drivers manually.
      I need help with this too.

2. Lee

Can you just find the drivers online? If not, you could try getting online with Puppy Linux instead. What carrier are you on? If you're on AT&T, make a new dialup connection (using your phone as the modem) and use the following info:
    Phone #: *99#
    Username: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
    Password: CINGULAR1 (all caps)

• Thandanimbupaani

I have NO problems connecting to the internet in Puppy, but instead, I need to do the same in Windows 98 SE.

I cannot find the drivers anywhere. If i had found them, and if they'd worked, i wouldn't have posted this question, right?

I already stated that the latest PC Suite for Windows 98 does NOT support my phone.
      Alternatively, the PC Suite for my phone does NOT work on Windows 98.

Can you help me find the drivers, please? Maybe some sort of a "Universal USB Soft Modem Driver for Windows 98"?