How can I tether my iPad to my Android device to use WiFi?

Iris October 11, 2011

I would like to connect my iPad to the Internet, using my Android. Can this be done?

1. SmarticleParticle

Their's an app for that!

2. Mr. Solution

The solution is simply buy a Blackberry phone and a playbook. Problem solved.

3. Ipiovanetti

The instructions says for rooted phones only.  I belive my phone isn't.  I tried to rooted but the message comes that I am not subscribe to hotspot.

4. Dzinerchic

Keep in mind that you will be charged by your provider to tether. You need to find out what the charge is and the data limits.

5. Ravi Meena

first you should know what is the version of android on your phone, to find out the android version go to the home screen then press the 'menu' button, after pressing the menu button a menu will come which will have an option to go to 'settings', after going into settings drag all the way down to 'about phone' and press upon 'about phone' now you will see a heading 'firmware version' and below that your android version will be there

now if you have 

1) firmware version 2.2 or 2.2+ then you should go back to the settings menu and then press upon 'Wireless and networks' and then press upon 'portable WiFi Hotspot' after that you have to provide it with the basic settings like name of the hotspot, Password to access the network.

in hotspot mode your android device will work like a wifi router

2) if you have firmware version 2.1 upgrade1 or lower then you have to root your device in order to use the hotspot functionality and rooting procedure is different for different models and it cant be discussed here. in this case you should search on google for - 'rooting ' and after rooting either you install hotspot apps or if a custom firmware of 2.2 or 2.2+ is available then you can just install that and convert your mobile into a hotspot.

after converting your android device into hotspot you should be able to connect your ipad with the wifi hotspot you created

the connection proceedure will be same as any other wifi connection.

6. Karen

It is really simple, go to Settings and then select Wireless and Networks. You should see Portable WiFi Hotspot. Click on it to turn your phone into a Hotspot. Follow the prompts to name your hotspot and secure it with a password. Once set up, connect your ipad to it and surf away.

• Ipiovanetti

I finally was able to open hotspot in my android and all looks good.  Went to my Ipad and found my EVO and chose it and enter the password that my phone gave me but, can connect.

7. jayesh patil

install connectify on u r android device would turn into hot spot  and u connect any wire less device with android 

8. Andi Sharkey

using Android 2.2 you can use the Mobile AP (Settings / Tethering / Mobile AP ) as an access can set your Access point name and password in the Mobile AP Settings. took me about 2 mins to set up. then on your ipad, wifi search should pick up your new access point!

• Ipiovanetti

tried but didn't work because of rooting error.

9. Mjevolve

hello Iris , 
    this is simple ..

just install Connectify (   )  , on your android device and it would turn it into a Hot Spot .

now you can connect any wireless device with Android and use its internet connection to access the WWW ..

hope it helps ....

• Ipiovanetti

The connectify for android does not download.  It says it is a private beta.  Maybe is not ready yet?

• Mjevolve

sadly yes , its in a Beta as of now .
        as you say , your phone is not rooted , you might want to watch this little tutorial which says --
         " How To Turn Your Android Phone into a Wifi Hotspot for FREE Without Rooting!
          "  )

i dont use an Android , so cant comment whether it really works or not ,
        but then you can try , the guy sure shows that it works ..!  :)

hope it helps....

10. M.S. Smith

You should be able to do this as long as your Android has a data connection and can be used as a hotspot. Just turn it to hotspot mode, then search for and connect to the hotspot with your iPad. 

• Ipiovanetti

When I go to setting and turn on the hotspot, I get a message saying that I am not subscribed to Hotspot service and that I have to enroll to this plan and pay $30.00.  I am already paying for data plan and don't want to pay more.

• M.S. Smith

Then I think you're out of luck. I believe rooted users can download software that will allow them to use the hotspot feature for free, but that's actually against your contract, so if you're caught your provider will make you pay. Often, they just automatically start charging you for it. 

Sorry to say, but you're going to end up paying if you want to do this.

• Ipiovanetti

Now I was able to do the hotspot in my phone and my Ipad found ii and I used the password that the phone gave me.  Everything looks good except that I don't have internet connection.

• Ipiovanetti

When I turn on the hotspot, sprint asks to register and pay $30.00 a month!