How can I test a Cascading Style Sheet offline?

Larrie July 9, 2011

I would like to know how to test CSS offline in a working copy of a webpage.

If it's a static homepage (html) you can open the site with the linked CSS right in your favorite browser. For pages with PHP you will have to run a local webserver with PHP enabled (same goes for other server sided scripts).

There are several ways to setup a local server but for testing purposes I think the easiest will be to get an ready-to-use server package. You can get an entire list of the AMP stacks at Wiki
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMP_(solution_stack)

• Larrie

Mike

i have done so and no changes to the css sheet work. if i comment out the link reference to the css sheet, then the formatting of the page changes. for example, if i specify a color with a selector, the requested color doesnt appear. i put the whole website online yesterday the color scheme didnt appear as anything but white even though i specified black for the background....

thanks

If commenting out the link reference removes the entire formatting then the CSS is applied to the page.

You problem is within the coding then ~ most common mistakes are:
        - duplicated classes/id/elements/selector
        - inline styles overruling the CSS file
        - misused CSS selectors

CSSEdit for the mac allows you to edit CSS on live webpages and preview the differences, then save and replace the live CSS. 

On windows, no ideas I'm afraid/