Why do one out of ten CD-Rs not work and what can I do about it?

scott July 28, 2011

I bought some TDK CD-Rs. It seems that 1 out of ten will work for burning. Is that a normal thing? Are they bad CDs? Can I do something to those CDs that don’t work to get them to work?

I am not a tech, and this really pisses me off. I really hate how these software and electronic companies can sell things that do not deliver! Oh, like Microsoft!!!

Scott,

did any of the tricks work for you? Please let us know whether you could reduce the failure rate when burning CDRs.

One last option not mentioned yet is that your recorder might be damaged. 
    "Multi-" or "Combi-drives" which allow both CD & DVD burning and playing are often subject to laser calibration issues. For example if you use it to play DVD's 90% of the time the laser might get sort of a "memory syndrome" and won't be able to calibrate itself for CD playback and or burning anymore. Eventually in an advanced state it will throw out 9 out of 10 data media regardless of their type.

I myself had a system which was used to playback DVD's about 4 hours a day. Initially I had the very same problem you described that I wasn't able to burn CD's anymore ~ and it got worse over time.
    The final result was that within only 1 year I had two defective "Combo-drives" which were gone for good. I ended up replacing it with a DVD-Rom [which is playback only] and it is still working after ~4 years.

Burn at a lower speed, it could be that the cd-rs themselves only support 8x and you are burning at 12x. 

Hello, it seems to me you are getting a few coasters and it is not normal.  What speed are you using to burn your cds?  It could be a bad batch of cds or it could also be that you are trying to burn them at a speed that is too fast and therefore you are getting skips.  It could also be that the lasers in your burner need to be cleaned.  Have you tried using a different brand of cds?  You should get a small pack of 5 or 10 from a different brand and see if the same thing happens.

Unfortunately, I do not think that you can do anything with the cds that do not work...I mean you can use them for coasters for those times when you are having a cold one....