Where are the temporary internet files kept in Windows 7?

Anonymous January 15, 2014

In the past when I downloaded a file using Windows XP I could go to the Temporary Internet Files folder and find a copy of the file there. In Windows 7 (and presumably Windows 8) I do not detect such a file. However when I perform a system clean-up using Advanced System Care I typically find junk files, which I presume are actually the temporary internet files. Why can’t I access these files. On occasion I have downloaded a file and not found the file in my downloads directory. In Windows XP I would search for and find the file in the temporary internet files folder.

do you have the same problem when using another browser and downloading files?

That folder is still very much there, but its location moved to:
    C:usersAppDataLocalMicrosoftWindowsTemporary Internet Files

If for whatever reason it is not in this default location, you can find it by running "Internet Options" (from the search box or by opening it in the Control Panel).
    Click on the [Settings] button near the bottom of the window. This will open the "Website Data Settings" windows.
    The location of the folder is listed just above the [Move folder...] button.

All that said, when you download files (rather than view web pages), they are usually saved either in the "Downloads" folder or in the system temp folder. To find the first, click the Start menu, open your username (just above "Documents" and locate the folder in the resulting window. For the temp folder, simply type %temp% into the search box just above the Start button and press enter.