When do you use technology at fast food restaurants?

Starr April 29, 2010

1. Taty

Short list:
    Wifi access for customers
    Cell phones or communication devices for managers
    Cashiers machines
    Ordering interface
    Online orders (where available)
    Databases for recording sales, workers hours, ordering and re-ordering or products and complete inventory, delivery schedule
    Hosts for website and community outreach
    Newsletters for updates for customers and mailing campaigns
    The list goes on and on, all the way to the companies that use technology to deliver the produce that will become the food on those restaurants.
    A better questions is, where DON'T they use technology?

1. When it's free, which usually it is
    2. When I need to use the internet
    3. When I am bored and hungry

And if I had to decide from McDonald's or KFC, I would choose Macca's for the wifi if I need to use it or traveling.

3. Merryann Palmer

It depends on what you mean by your question, and who your target is. If you are referring to the restaurants themselves, the previous answer is quite good.

If, on the other hand, you are referring to the customer, that is another thing altogether.

Most customers utilize technology choosing, finding, and dining at fast food restaurants. The internet, either by computer or smart phone, can assist in locating your favorite fast food place. It can also provide you with nutrition information, as well as menu choices.

GPS technology can assist you in navigating to the eatery.

And, once you have arrived, there is always the phone, games on it, various applications, etc. Then, of course, there is always the WI-fi connection available for your laptop, which is being made available by ever more eateries.

Personally, I utilize all of these since we travel around the country full-time and are frequently in need of information on the locality where we are at the moment.

4. Saikat Basu

Technology is a part of the entire delivery cycle at fast food restaurants and any restaurant for that matter. Not only at point of sale but also for back office operations. Take a restaurant like McDonald's for example...they have so many stores around the world. They are trying to develop (or already have) a common point of sale system for all their restaurants around the world.

Even in a simpler form, a lot of restaurants have cashless payment systems, Wi-Fi environments, computerized menu choices etc. These are all technology enablers. Just like any organization, a restaurant has multiple areas where tech can be applied.