How tdo I connect a HP TouchSmart 610-1030y to a TV for dual monitor?

Andrew H January 23, 2014

Before I either spend more than I need to, or just blow money on something stupid, can someone please tell me the cheapest way to connect an all-in-one HP TouchSmart 610-1030y (2010 or 2011) desktop to an HD TV to use as a dual monitor/larger display?

As mentioned, the HP is an all-in-one. There is NO extra video output ports located on the machine. It does, however, have more USB ports than you can shake a stick at. There is no HDMI port, no S-Cable and no…traditional monitor port (newbie, sorry. Not sure of correct term).

I’m running Windows 7, 64-bit operating system, 4 GB ram with an Intel core i3 3.20GHz processor….if that is pertinent or helps.

I would greatly appreciate some suggestions. I’m almost finished renovating my home office and this is the one aspect holding me back.

Thank you!

i think you need to buy a USB to HDMI adapter

You would have to use a USB to video out converter. These generally run $40USD to $80+USD, and plug into a USB port on your computer. There are USB to standard PC VGA output, DVI output, and/or HDMI. Choose the one that best fits your needs (more information to help you decide in the following paragraphs). You can find several solutions here: http://www.newegg.com/USB-Display-Adapters/SubCategory/ID-3046?Tid=19447&cm_sp=AdaptGen256-_-VisNav-_-USBDispAdapters.

The USB to video converters generally do not offer any audio output, so you would need to run audio separately to the TV. Many TV's would have a VGA computer input (and usually a 3.5mm PC audio input, in which you would use a 3.5mm male to 3.5mm male audio cable from your computer's headphone out jack to the PC audio input on the TV). This may not give the best video resolution, but problem is that audio most likely would not be available when using a USB to HDMI or DVI converter, and I don't think that separate audio can be used with the HDMI input on your TV (the specifications on your TV would help in determining whether or not it is supported on your TV with this scenario). One thing to note is that DVI can usually be used with HDMI connectios through the use of a DVI to HDMI adapter or cable, which the adapter or cable generally runs for $5-20USD online.

You provided the information on the computer, which is great, but more information on the TV would be necessary to pick out the best solution for you. Assuming that you have a TV with a VGA input (the basic computer monitor connection), I would go with the USB to VGA converter and a 3.5mm male to male cable so you can have video and audio. Otherwise, just use the PC speakers connected to your computer for the audio, and get a USB to HDMI converter.