Why is my tablet’s screen flickering?

Aung Thu Hein November 14, 2014

My Samsung tablet (SM-P601 running KitKat) recently got an OTA update (180 MB), which was said to be a stability improvement. After the update, the screen flickers, sometimes severely. Does that have anything to do with the battery? Or is that the update that created this problem. How can I fix it?

1. DalSan M

In my opinion, based on the evidence that can be found on several websites, including the ones listed above, this issue is fairly common on Samsung Galaxy devices, and caused by the video driver incompatibilities with some of the software using hardware acceleration. Until, or unless, there is a further update to fix the issue, it is best to disable hardware overlays and some of the other hardware acceleration options that are not necessary for most functions.

I see this issue most commonly in the Words With Friends app on my Samsung Galaxy Note 2, but also show up on the Samsung Galaxy Tab 4.0 8 inch in the same app, as well as a few others. I have tried several different versions of Android ROMS on my Note 2, ranging from 4.1.2 to 4.4, both TouchWiz based and Vanilla forms as well as official updates and custom ROMs. Almost all have similar issues with screen flickering when the Hardware Overlay option is on. Most times, the flickering disappeared or was kept to a minimum when the Hardware Overlay option is turned off. With the overlay off, you will see almost no quality difference or will miss anything, except that screen flicker would not occur as often.

2. Patti

I have the same problem

Blue Flashing Screen (it is mentioned) it can be firmware problem
    https://textra.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/441838-blue-flashing-screen

Developer Options: Disable Hardware Overlays
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s4/309671-how-i-got-my-galaxy-s4-completely-lag-stutter-free.html

ou can try factory recovery to check if it will help

• ATH

Thanks for the tips! I factory-reset the device before I did the update. I have disabled hardware overlays. The issue is gone for the moment. Thanks.

thanks for your feedback, so disabling hardware overlays fixed your problem.

• darlington

My tablet is flckering colours

is it on all applications or when using internet browser then try with another browser like Boat Browser

• bridget

My android tablet keep flicking what wrong need help