What is the best tablet currently on the market?

Tom May 16, 2011

What is the best tablet out there? Is the iPad all it’s cracked up to be?

1. Shoota

I think he has sand in his vagina. But that's what you can expect from a closed minded apple lover who is too scared to venture outdoors and dip his toes in the water of another product in case he falls in and cant swim. Plus he has two first names the poor kid! I would be pissed off too! haha.

Two first names? I was under the impression one was a surname. But I could be wrong.

2. joe mar

James Bruce has some points and the others but James is hilarious. Very Negative... I wonder why he is like that... I was reading the thread to keep me posted about what is best tablet out there, just to find out that this thread is kinda entertaining.... it's like a movie that I got watch all the parts so that I will know how it ends LMAO.... peace out james... :)))

Lol. I'm not negative. Just 'passionate' ;) Peace!

3. Perfectluv7

I have an Iphone and love it but to be honest the iphone, the ipod, and the ipad are basically the same thing. I have had the chance to play around with themall both and to me the Ipad is just a bigger version of the Iphone and the Ipod. I wanted an Ipad but after playing with it I realized it was just like playing with my Iphone.

4. asjoyce

I am just looking for a tablet for my 7 year old daughter. I want her to be able to play games from the internet,take pictures and watch movies.

Joyce,

I think you should ask a new question to get a quick response to your question.

5. Neidu

We went through 2 Android tablets at work trying to get a Skype video chat going.  The first was a ViewSonic, Second was a Samsung Galaxy S(i think)... the 7 inch version.  While they both downloaded/installed Skype no problem, Skype didn't support video on the ViewSonic, which is why we tried the Samsung.  The samsung while having the little button for "make video call" after installing Skype, the screen went black as soon as the other end answered the call.  So ended up sending it back also.  I guess you can say I'm lazy for not reading about Skype and the ViewSonic, but a second fail with the Samsung kinda put a bad taste in my mouth for Android.  Both seemed pretty slick playing around before sending them back, but the big QUESTION of "will this work for my Android" when wanting to do someting specific just isn't acceptable for me.  IMO if the app is out there for me to download it, it should work without having to reasearch the crap out of it... like I said, call me lazy if you want.  Went with the Ipad2 last week for the house, pretty neat little toy.  I just use it for casual browsing, email, skype.  I don't feel like I need to research as much before getting an app.... anyway.

6. Proballa27

you have to know what you want. honestly you can't go wrong with ipad, because that is the original product all other tablets try to emulate the qualities of. until something comes along that is outrageously better than an ipad, i would stick to apple. if the lack of flash support gets to you tho, just pick up a high end android tablet.

7. Nick S.

I bought an Ipad a couple of weeks ago and sold it because it didn't have flash player. With the Ipad I felt that I was limited in what I wanted to do.  I just hated it.  I'm now in the market for an android tablet.

8. Papaboyd04

MY COMPUTER IS OLD AND SLOW IM THINKING OF REPLACING IT AND I KNOW A TABLET IS NO REPLACEMENT BUT THE ONLY THING I DO IS SOME SERCHING CHECK MY EMAIL CHECK MY FACEBOOK AND MY EBAY WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST

Papaboy,

please turn your caps lock off, it's very rude to type in all upper case.

I recommend to look into netbooks or low end laptops for around $250 - 400. They are considerably cheaper than a tablet and are much better for writing anything, since they come with a hardware keyboard. A netbook is also a more proper replacement for a computer than a tablet as it can essentially do everything a computer can do.

If you don't mind a touchscreen keyboard, if you love touch screen in general, and don't mind spending a little more, then a tablet might still be the right choice. Remember that tablets can only handle apps, you can't really install full fledged programs like you can on a computer.

9. Paradise1970

I've been reading some of the comments here and it seems that everyone is busy trying to convince one another of their favorite. The fact is that people are all different and everybody need to understand that there can never be one universal winner due to the fact that we all have different needs and likes. Technology is also changing so fast that just as we deem one product superior another company tries to make something even better. That's what it's all about. When I went shopping for a tablet, I was amzed at some of the features the Ipad1 offered and dissappointed with features it lacked like no USB port and no flash. No flash? But a few months went by and then I looked at the Samsung Galaxy Tablet and realized it looked even better than the Ipad considered the very cool physical keyboard holder. But inevitably I decided they all sucked for me because I like to travel with 500 films on board and need to type sometimes in heavy light which was only availble from a laptop. So I decided to buy a Lenovo Idea Pad Netbook Tablet with 180 degree swivel screen because it did everything that my laptop did and much more than any tablet on the market. But let's all remember that my favorite isn't your favorite and perhaps you like the sex appeal of Apple's design or the smart features of an HP or the processing speed and ergonims of Toshiba or you are just loyal to Motorola, none of our favorites would be possible without comptition. So I wanna' thank Apple for making something so popular, thank Bill Gates for making XP and improving windows 7. open Office for their price, Linux for their wisdom etc. etc. Let's just all appreciate the fantastic features in all these products and keep spreading them to everyone all over the world. Because the fact is that more than 99% of people on this planet still don't even own a laptop let alone a tablet.  

• Ke7osq

Okay, now that things have cooled off I can come out of the closet. I love my delis incredible and my iPad. I use my iPad every day for work. I even remote desktop to my Windows7 laptop so I can update things that use only the IE explorer. I am not loyal to ANY brand but this set up works great for me and my job. I am in medical sales, use these items to show brochures, email, edit documents and update sales calls. When something better for me comes along if I have the money I will look into it no matter the platform. For me, my iPad2 works great, easy and always! I will be excited for the new IOS 5 to come out. For the record I use FB Browser on my iPad2, as it runs flash and is a better browser than the slooooowww out dated Safari. Thanks and long live competition as that way we all win!

• Ke7osq

Sorry I did not do spell check it appears, or proof read, or......I meant Droid Incredible not delis incredible....

10. Norflix

I was thinking to find some good tips here but this place looks like a giant battlefield IPAD vs the rest of the world, lmao... By the way Apple imports screen components from Samsung... I guess will just go to store and check IPAD2 and Samsung Galaxy 10.1 Though from specs I see that Galaxy is far to advanced than IPAD2 (at least in points that are important for me). No need to reply as I am not coming back....
    Thanks and carry on fighting!

• Golfer25

Right on Norflix...this thread was entertaining. That James Bruce is entertaining for sure!

11. RAINMAKER

What do you guys/gals think about the Toshiba Thrive? I have been searching for a Tablet for a while now and i have heard great things about it .This Tablet has: 1 x Hi-Speed USB - 4 pin USB Type A 1 x audio / video - HDMI 1 x Hi-Speed USB - 4 pin mini-USB Type B 1 x docking / port replicator 1 x headphones - output - mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm .
    Also it has Android 3.1 (Honeycomb and it is preloaded with :
    Clock, Calculator, Quickoffice, Virtual Keyboard, Google Talk, Gmail, YouTube, Adobe Flash Player, Swype, Google eBooks, Android Browser, Android Market, Android Music Player, Gallery, Google Music, Google Places, Google Latitude, Google Search, Google Calendar, Google Calendar Sync, Google Contacts, Google Contacts Sync, Google Voice Search, LogMeIn Ignition, Hardwood Backgammon, Hardwood Euchre, Hardwood Solitaire, Hardwood Hearts, Hardwood Spades, MOG Music, Printer Share, Need for Speed Shift, Toshiba App Place, Toshiba Book Place, Toshiba Start Place, Toshiba Media Player, Toshiba Service Station, Toshiba File Manager .
    You could also expland the memory , for 50 bucks you could buy a 32 gig SD card and the battery is replaceable.
    I currently have a IMAC 27 inch computer,and a HP laptop. My work computer is a Lenovo intel I5.
    Thanks for your info.

hey there,

this thread has been posted over 3 moths ago which means not many people can see your question now. i recommend posting this as anew question as it will bring it in front of everyone. To post anew question go to, http://www.makeuseof.com/answers/

Aibek

12. Kimberley

Wow... you're a bit of a tool..You seem to still be missing the point.

"He who establishes his argument by noise and command shows that his reason is weak" - Tartuffe
    And for everyone else posting on this thread.. stop dropping your IQ enough to argue with this d-bag and remember.. you can't argue crazy and you can't kill stupid. He is who he is.
    If I was considering owning an I-pad, you're representation has completely put a bad taste in my mouth. Thank goodness you don't represent the apple community as a whole.. or the intelligence level of other apple owners.. Everyone here is laughing at the stupidity here.. this is no longer a question about a tablet anymore... people are questioning how old you are?? Somewhere around the age of 12? I mean c'mon.. grow up a little. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and no one smashed up on other people the way you have.. which doesn't help your argument at all. Surely you can see that? Not everyone on this post is "Apple hating"....but you're making it SOO easy .. Even the people who are supportive of apple and your argument are disappointed in how you're trying to establish your point...it's flat out childish. Go back to your xbox and argue with other 12 year olds on COD live. This is for adults...

• Ben

You are right Kimberly, I am just banging my head against the wall with no success, I am really very sorry if I made any of the good people here abset with the noise my head made. I won't waste my time anymore.

Kimberly, Ben, I'm sincerely sorry for the way I've acted on this thread. I have indeed been more than just a bit of a tool, and I hope I haven't made you think any less of MakeUseOf because of it. I agree with everything you've written above, and reading back on my own comments can hardly believe I would have allowed myself to act that way. 

I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me for acting like such a bully, and I can promise you it will absolutely not happen again. 

• Jack Poleski

Well, it's about time you saw the light young man. I admire your passion for Apple Ipads and the company in general but sometimes I feel they are overrated and over-priced. I have also been fascinated by the Android market and the over 300,000 FREE applications they are currently offering for my Samsung Galaxy Ace cell phone. But now I can't make up my mind between a Samsung Galaxy tablet and an IPAD 2 because I love my phone and I also like my wife's Macbook Pro laptop. But I am not loyal to any company. I just want to buy the best if that's at all possible. It would be easier if I knew about the good and the bad points of these products.

Jack,

I went with the Samsung Galaxy Tab and I was very satisfied with it! Unfortunately, it came down with a known issue, which is an oily looking stain underneath the touchscreen. It doesn't impair the tablet, but it looks ugly. Had to send it in for a repair or exchange...yet have to find out what they will do about it.

Better wait for 10.2 to be released or go with one of the newer tablets recently introduced. The one from Sony looks promising.

• Bossman_20002

Today I was going to look into getting a Ipad or Ipad2 so I wanted to check out what everyone thinks about it. I have used Ipad in the past but I don't really have the use of it until now, it is very under powered and limited to what my home/work computers. That as it should be do to fact its made for a different function, but now I have a use for Ipad or tablet, but now after reading all your post I am will not get one, you maybe the worst thing for Apple you are putting people of there products. I might just save my money, everyone need to remember how much these Items cost too.
      Well hope every is well, and James you might want to put down your devices and take a brake and maybe go for a walk so something.

• Paradise1970

Yes, I agree wholeheartedly !!! I just logged on to read some things about these different products in order to see what consumers were saying about them in order to be able to make an educated shopping decision. If I had the money or the time I might buy them all and test them myself but I don't have either. I am just looking for one device and I am leaning towards the IPAD2 or the Samsung Galaxy tablet even though I was dissappointed with the Apple Ipad touch and the Samsung D-line phones were heartbreaking in their lack of reliability. I just need some truthful opinions about these products and I really don't care about the brand because for me all of these companies have made some really great and some really crappy products over the years. So, I just want to pick something which mighjt work for me. What are the flaws and the highlights of these tablets? Why should I buy one when I have a great touch screen netbook?

By the way, leading UK consumer testing group Which? just did a round-up of tablets. I'm afraid the results are only available to subscribers, but I'll reprint the top 5 here:

1. ipad 2 (wifi/3g) - 82% and 83%
    2. Galaxy Tab - 74%
    3. Dell streak 71%
    4. Motorola xoom - 64%

Trust who you will, but Which? are not affiliated and are widely regarded as the best consumer reports group around, at least in the UK.

• Ben

Hi James, reading your comments reminded me that we are still living in a a world full of people who think what they have is the best (right or wrong, not important) and they have no respect for other people's feelings and opinions. You might be right thinking that apple is the best for you and many others but please show some respect towards other people's opinions whether they are right or not. For me I have  iphone and ipad and at the same time samsung galaxy s and Eee Transformer epad, I enjoy the fruits of both worlds and I don't care which one is the best or not as long as I am happy with them. Please stop fighting for apple even if you are right, enjoy your gadgets and let apple's lawers fight for apple. PEACE

Sorry, but the idea that an opinion must respected regardless or how stupid it is is ridiculous. Would you respect my opinion on particle physics, despite the fact that I know absolutely nothing about it? I sincerly hope not. 

Maybe you dont care which is best, but in that case you probably shouldnt comment on a question where someone asks for advice on the BEST tablet out there. There is no best, you say? Go with whichever takes your fancy? Perhaps that one because it has a USB port! My, how helpful.

• Ben

Sorry, but it seems like you did not get what I was trying to say in a nice and polite way, I think you understand only people who think and talk like you. So here I go, as a gentleman one should never tell people that they are stupid and they do not know any thing like he is the only person in the world with brain. You give them the facts not your insults and sarcasm (like your opinion is stupid or ridiculous even if they are). You dont like to show respect to other people so be it but one thing is for sure and that is that I will never insult you or your opinion about particle physics just because you don't know anything about it, what I will do is I will try to guide you not to force you and still if you do not agree with my opinion so be it. People who treat others with disrespect (no matter how OUT OF THIS WORLD those people's ideas or likes and dislikes are) live a lonely life, JUST LOOK ABOVE I DON'T SEE ANY BODY LIKING YOUR COMMENTS. I think in your book it means we are all stupid.
      And lastly about some one like me should not comment on a question where someone asks for advise on the best TABLET because I don't care whih is the best, I have this to say to you: first of all my reply was for you and addressed to you, and lastly IT IS A FREE WORLD AND YOU DON'T OWN IT, GET USE TO IT!

IF I WRITE IN CAPITALS, IT MAKES ME RIGHT! 

YOU KNOW WHAT - IF YOU OWN AND USE BOTH ANDROID AND IOS TABLETS, PERHAPS YOU COULD ADD SOME INSIGHTS INTO THE RELATIVE PROS AND CONS OF EACH PLATFORM INSTEAD OF SAYING THEYRE BOTH GOOD AND CONTRIBUTING NOTHING TO THE CONVERSATION. YOU'RE OBVIOUSLY IN A UNIQUE POSITION, UNLIKE THE HORDES OF APPLE HATING PEOPLE ON THIS THREAD.

Oh, sorry, forgot I left caps on. How rude of me! A gentlemen never use caps!

Ben, 

thank you for your comment. It's too bad this thread got so out of hand. After all, we're discussing a piece of hardware, essentially a toy.

I do want to apologize personally to anyone who felt offended.

14. crisco

Agreed Apple thrives on it's business model but a majority of the tech population absolutely wants nothing to do with this Mobile Me service. I don't want all of my hardware from the same manufacturer, i don't want all of my software from the same manufacturer, no matter how high the quality or low the price. 

This whole thing stinks, and now Apple and Google are cutthroat with the FCC over selling internet and power over the airwaves, just you wait.. This war for data and power will get nasty and i assure you apple will show their true colors. 

I don't support Windows business ethics; i don't support Apple's business tactics either. Ubuntu didn't sell me shit, but i'd gladly donate again.

As for the tablet, the only thing the iPad is lacking is in resolution/screen size. That said, the amount of hours invested in apple's software store is beyond Android currently and will be for a few more years. But anyone who puts down open source is a sheep; this world will not progress with the current software laws. I will be buying an iPad in the next couple of years, i have never owned a tablet. I do own an iPod from like 2001 but never purchased any other mac devices. 

http://www.pixelmator.com/

15. Roy

Hopefully by posting an answer I won't just get caught in the crossfire of this flame war...  But I thought a neutral opinion might be better than the very opinionated ones above.  (I don't know about you, but to me it seems statements such as "As for the iPad, no, it most definitely isn't all it's cracked up to be" and the assertion that Android tablets "actually suck, but you have to buy one to avoid Apple" are equally opinionated, biased and subjective.)

Really, asking which is the "best" tablet on the market is a little like asking, "What is the best flavor of ice cream?"  It truly does come down to personal taste.  Both the iPad and Android offerings have a wide variety of quality apps and a stable platform on which those apps run.  If you like variety in terms of size and form factor, that's an advantage on the Android side.  If you are familiar with Mac OS or iOS products, then that's an advantage on the iPad side (same could be said for the Playbook if you're a Blackberry user).

Not to fan the flame war, but I do tend to disagree with @muo_jamesbruce:disqus about the idea that you'd have to bugger arround with different firmwares if you bought a commercially produced Android tablet - at least if it's from a respectable manufacturer, rather than one of the super-cheap Chinese tablets.  Anything from Samsung, Viewsonic, etc. would work easily, right out of the box, much like an iPad would.  All of the above are great devices.

The best advice I (or other posters, IMO) can offer is that you handle some tablets running on different platforms and see what you like best.  Also, take into consideration what technology you're familiar with and factor that into your decision.  You may have an Android phone, in which case an Android tablet would probably be to your liking.  You may have an iPhone, in which case you'd have nothing new to adapt to with an iPad.  I think you get the idea :)

But above all, don't base your decision on the subjective opinions of people who support one platform so heavily that they'll bash its competitors; instead, find out what you like.

Thank you for the balanced answer, Roy!

I predicted this would get some hilarious responses, and Michael has proved my point. 

Time for some truths - Android tablets suck worse than you ever thought. Of course, they're cheaper, and you can hack them to do what you like. But ultimately you have to ask yourself - do you want a wonderful device that you will genuinely use every day to do useful things - or do you want something that is cheap, tacky, can barely do anything, but happens to be open source?

Yes, the iPad IS all it's made out to be. The only people who say otherwise are people who bought an Android tablet and now regret that decision everyday of their lives. Theyre bitter fools who dont want to buy into "the Apple way" and cling to Ubuntu and Android like some new age hippy movement. 

Part of the problem is the ridiculous number of models available, the hardware varying considerably from a $100 piece of crap you'd buy in China to $1000, which probably isn't all that bad. Ultimately any Android tablet compared to an iPad is going to lose because of the hardware/software disconnect. Apple can afford to put custom mass-produced components specific to their platform with great performace because they make the whole thing. They can afford to tie the operating system so intricately to the hardware because they do both. Android cant, and will always be substandard because of that. 

• Michael Launier

WAAAAAAAAAAH! WAAAAAAAAH! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!! DADDY DADDY! THIS GUY DISAGREES WITH ME! PLEASE TELL ME HE'S WRONG! SURELY, HIS EDUCATED POINTS COULDN'T POSSIBLY STAND UP TO THE BRAINWASHING I'VE RECEIVED!"

And there's the point I've neglected: Brainwashed morons who think everything manufactured by Apple is a divine offering from god. Good luck disagreeing with anything they preached, as it immediately makes you a biased hater (you know, as opposed to them).

James, if you go back and read my comment (the one I actually typed, not the one you're trying to interpret it as), you'll see that at no point did I say that the iPad was a bad choice. On the contrary, I heartily recommended that Tom pick one up if he's already invested in the App Store.

Yes, the iPad IS indeed essentially just a giant iPod Touch. Android-based tablets are also essentially giant Android phones. No need to try an assume I'm taking the side of some devilish organization who's out to get you, when all I'm trying to do is give a basic explanation to the person who asked this question. If it does make you feel better about yourself though, I also expect laughable comments like the ones you posted.

I didn't say that Android tablets got more attention than iPads; I said that they offer all the features offered by it while still receiving more attention than other competitors ("other" as in Blackberry and other systems). Also, by "attention", I meant from developers; not the attention of easily swayed media.

Your comment about how, and I quote, "the freedom you talk about is the freedom to choose from 10 different apps in the app store, 9 of which are tip calculators" was quite witty! And of course, by "witty", I really mean laughable. The App Store currently offers over 350,000 apps; a very impressive number, for sure! However, the Android Market is quickly catching up with over 200,000 apps currently available. As far as games go, I'd lean towards the App Store since it has more licensed game developers invested in it at the moment, but other than that, everything else is also available in one form or another on the Android Market.

You see, one of Apple's strength is also one of its downsides: Only Apple is allowed to manufacture its devices, only its own operating systems can be used on its devices, and only was they allow to be made available on its systems can be made public. That is essentially what caused the company's downfall back in the early 90's. As far as tablets go, there is no doubt that the iPad gets the most spotlight, but all the new tablets being released recently are quickly gaining popularity.

Regardless of popularity however, my point is this: I've never liked Linux or Unix or whatever, as those have essentially zero market penetration and are therefore of little use to most people. Android, however, is simply an alternative to iOS that offers just as much, except that it can be used for virtually anything since it is "open", all while having more market share (and thus a more assured future) than other competitors. Those tablets are also cheaper since they don't depend on pricing established by a company that holds a monopoly on them, all while providing more variety. Of course, it all depends on the user's tastes,
      but purely from a consumer standpoint, they are the "better" choice.

You are more than welcome to disagree, and I'm sure that Tom would appreciate more opinions, but it'd be nice if you made neutral and logical points next time instead of rambling on about what your Apple-loving friends like to ramble about. That kind of stuff won't help him at all.

Brainwashed my arse. I used windows machines for 15 years before realizing how much life was better on the Mac a few years ago. I've also had a new fangled tablet pc 7 years ago, before any iPad was envisioned.

Tom, it all comes down to whether you want a high quality device that performs well and has the best support behind it, or do you want to buy into the fragmented market of android devices, none of which has anywhere near the level of support and community behind it that the iPad does.

If I were ten years younger with all the time in the world, I would probably get an android, just to make a stand against the evil apple corporation who close up their products and attempt to make money like a company responsible to shareholders should. But I dont have all the time in the world, and I want something that works without me having to bugger around with different firmwares for different devices. And I suspect you're like me too.

• 1119james

Well the problem with Apple is that it does not support Adobe flash that is in a lot of software programs of today it is stubborn and knows that it can give only what it wants not what you need who wants to pay out the ass for 350,000 worth of craps apps that I can get for free I am surprised they don't charge you to turn it on sounds like Obama stimulus package got in lubericant with it .

Michael, I apologise. My apple-loving self got the better of me in this thread, and I've been outrageously rude in my responses to both you and everyone else. I hope I haven't offended you in any way, and if I have, then please, accept my apologies and understand that it absolutely will not happen again. 

• Michael Launier

Thank you for being so frank; it's too bad that there aren't more people willing to look at themselves and see their own mistakes. Your apology is accepted.

• Alexx

Actually dude if you sit back and re-read what you just said you'll find yourself speaking a bunch of non-sense because Google with their Android are achieving more and more in time worldwide
      as for apple.. it's only used in the United states and few outside it
      plus.. if you come to the Economic part.. not everyone can afford the Ipad and and the apps in the apple market
      I have both the ipad 2 and the Motorola Xoom
      and i can honestly say that Xoom wins over Ipad 2 in some aspects and Ipad 2 is better at some aspects but it all comes to the User himself
      but if i had to vote imma go with Xoom..
      personal opinion though (:

• Stephen Last nam

When it comes to Design your 100% RIGHT! Ipad has an AMAZING body with absolutely NO ports for ANYTHING! I have used both ipad and a Android tablet. And from my personal use *throwing money out the window* the screen and ease of use i would have to say the ipad takes all! However i do more then just web browse on my tablet, Photos, videos and documents. I think android offers alot when it comes to there File manager and other ports that are SO  helpful!

I'm not going to hate anyone for liking one or another however i will use some intellectually honesty and engage in some logical conversation on this subject! its vary interesting how if you disagree with apple people take it as some kind of personal attack lol... Apple works awesome with apple, Everything made for there products is designed for apple. Thats nice but to a fault.  *shrugs* I like android...I pads are awesome. But for me. I have Android... and i connect my android tablet to my macbook pro... they get along just fine! :)

• David

But the ipad has no usb port on it so in order to do anything on the web while you are away from a wifi connection you have to pay them a monthly service fee. Where as with the android tablets that have a usb port you can (providing you are with sprint and have unlimited internet) you can connect your tablet to your your cell phone via usb and pdanet use your wifi android tablet all day long no matter where you are for free.

uhhh, you can tether to an iphone (or android) from the iPad too, and tethering via usb is actually quite a lame way of doing it. Why not just broadcast a wifi network from your android phone? 

also, not free. you still need the 3g connection on your phone, which is exactly the same as paying for a 3g connection on your ipad instead. 

17. Michael Launier

The best tablet? That's debatable. The issue is that since tablet
    computers are quickly becoming extremely popular, a whole slew of them
    are released every month at the moment. Your best bet is go look for
    Android-based tablets, as Blackberry's future is uncertain and
    applications may be too limited, whereas Android is widely adopted and
    growing at a fast pace. Beyond that, you may have to look for specific
    sizes and features that fit your needs.

As for the iPad, no, it most definitely isn't all it's cracked up to be.
    What it does, it does well, but it really is just a bigger iPod Touch.
    Of course, if you absolutely love the Apple Store and have already spent
    a ton of money on there, you should certainly consider getting an iPad.
    In all actuality though, Android-based tablets would offer far more
    freedom and possibilities while also receiving more attention that other
    competitors.

"it really is just a bigger iPod Touch"
      Well, presumably an Android tablet is really just a bigger Android phone then?

You honestly trying to convince someone by saying a bigger screen is bigger than a small screen? Good job Sir, well reasoned argument there. 

"In all actuality though, Android-based tablets would offer far more 
      freedom and possibilities while also receiving more attention that other competitors."
      Receiving more attention than the iPad? Really? Is that why there are hundreds of stories about how the iPad has changed the world in areas of personal computing and even education, and healthcare? Perhaps I misread those headlines, I guess what they actually said was "University buys an android tablet for all their students because they're so good". And presumably the freedom you talk about is the freedom to choose from 10 different apps in the app store, 9 of which are tip calculators?

**************

You know what, not one person I know has genuinely ever said to me "hey, I own an android and it's so awesome". Why not? Is that because they actually suck, but you have to buy one to avoid Apple? On the other hand, I know quite a few people who switched to Android phones after owning a iPhone, and can't to switch back again.

• Kingpin2

Actually the xoom is the best tablet u have more freedom and u don't have to worry ab everything on it to be erased when u switch computers like the ipad imagine not being trapped in the world of iTunes and watching only QuickTime videos. Yes I pad has more apps OK xoom will very soon xoom has a camera 2 times better than I pad with a flash. If ur a kid and likes to just play with ur tablet than go with ipad. But if u plan on really doing something other than playing around with thousands of the same apps that makes fart sounds that a real tablet is for u and that's the xoom.

Huh? I stream any format movie off my home server. I've never watched a single quicktime video other than podcasts. 

And as for the rest of your spouted nonsense, it barely warrants a reply. At least I make sense in my opinionated responses!

• Queer

Shut the fuck up no one likes your witty remarks gay boy

• usetobeappleguy

oh so you watch flash videos online??? i dont think so, you are just another brain washed apple user that cant get your head out of Jobs ass. Apples format and personalizations settings are childish

• Stephen Last nam

Well, Wile no one can touch the ipad when it comes to intuitiveness (if thats a word) Or even "ease of use". If someone wants something that they can customize and if they know technology well enough... i would argue a Android tablet would be best for them! Not all people like Android. Or can even deal with it's mess of an OS.  But with that said: Android lets you do alot more then an Ipad. (expandable memory, full USB, HDMI, and almost all have at least micro SD or Full SD, or micro HDMI or USB...when it comes to someone who likes to watch movies and such it's awesome to be able to throw a movie on a sd card pop it in and away you go, rather then having to sync it to Itunes very time. not to mention that Android supports Flash. But thats soooo small compared to the other specs.

All in all " Ipad is awesome for the user who JUST wants to web browse *as long as the page doesn't need flash* Then it's awesome! No other can compare! however if you want to to do more without the hold back of NEEDING a computer and Itunes to operate then it's not so great!   You cant even turn one on and use it without a computer or itunes...

I have nothing agents apple, I love apple! I'm typing this out on a macbook pro. But i have GOT to be honest, android tablets are a bit better when it comes to what they have to offer.

• HappyAndroidUser

I own an Android phone and it is SO awesome!  I've used the iPhone (my friend has one) and I'm not impressed.  Maybe you should remove your face from Steve Jobs ass and quit being such a fanboy.

• Tom Mrazek

Yes, but that depends if you are or are not an apple fan.