What’s the best tablet, BlackBerry PlayBook or Kindle Fire?

Lilly December 27, 2011

Which tablet is better out of the Blackberry Playbook or the Kindle Fire? This is for someone who has an iPhone and is not an premium Amazon member, who wants to use it as a reader, Internet surfer, email, minimum app use since iPhone is available.

1. Leui

well i think you should by playbook what it as a camra

2. Dave Parrack

It's all a matter of opinion but I'd go for the Kindle Fire at this point purely because of the price, the support from Amazon, and the fact that BlackBerry is dying rapidly.

Having said that I'd personally wait for the Kindle Fire 2 which will likely be announced within the next six months.

• Dlbark313

The Blackberry Playbook was dropped to $199 for the 16GB version in late November.  How is the Kindle Fire cheaper?

• Dave Parrack

I listed three reasons, only one of which was the price. There is nothing wrong with the PlayBook at that price point but I personally wouldn't buy one.

Blackberry Playbook  be receiving  update to OS2, i think you be able to use Android apps. The software update will add advanced integrated email, calendar and contact apps, a new video store, as well as new functionality that will allow your BlackBerry smartphone and BlackBerry PlayBook to work together even better, the Playbook will be treated to Blackberry Movies, making the Playbook a real media centre with over 10,000 movies and television shows, which should pair nicely with the Playbook's HDMI output.

if the purpose it is only reading ebooks then perhaps Kindle Fire is more suitable.

• Cybersunshine

I have both the PlayBook and the kindle fire. You can download the kindle reader app on the PlayBook and do everything that the kindle fire can do. I have several other tablets and readers. I personally prefer the PlayBook, kindle fire is a close 2nd followed by the Motorola xoom. For just reading the $79.00 kindle is my preference.

Hello,  In my opinion I would say that as a tablet, the playbook has the advantage, although as of late it is kind of hard to see a future for it. 

One of the playbook advantages are the connections available.  It has wireless, Bluetooth, USB and GPS. 

A second advantage is the fact that it has two cameras, one front facing and a rear camera that is capable of high definition. 

A third advantage is the fact that the playbook has more memory by default.  Playbook
    has 1GB of ram and 500MB for the kindle Fire. 

Another advantage is the storage space.  The most basic playbook has double the storage space as compared to the kindle fire.

One of the few advantages the kindle fire has are the apps.  The bottom line is the following.   If you are planning to use your tablet for reading books or any other media offered by the manufacturer's and also you want to find out what a tablet is all about, the Kindle Fire is your best option.  If you are looking for a complete tablet that pretty much has a little bit of everything, except android market,
    then I would say the playbook would be perfect for your needs.   

5. Susendeep Dutta

You must take Kindle fire as it runs on Android Gingerbread.Moreover,you get good and variety of apps as compared to Playbook.Kindle is cheaper than Playbook for your intended purpose and you must get Kindle fire.

Although Kindle only has Wi-Fi,you can tether your iPhone with it.It has ~6.x GB user available memory,but you can store much of data in cloud using dropbox app.

• Dlbark313

1.) Apple and Android do NOT tether in any form, Steve Jobs HATES Google Android.
      2.) Amazon is using a vanilla hybrid of Gingerbread, not 2.3.4
      3.) Blackberry Playbook16gb was marked down to $199 in November when you wrote this.  November 22, 2011 Best Buy as a company sold out of them.
      4.) Blackberry has the 2.0 update coming in Q1 2012 that will add the android market.

• Susendeep Dutta

Thanks for your reply.At that time,I didn't have the news that Blackberry Playbook was sold at $199.