How can I make tables align automatically in Microsoft Word or any other Office software?

mukuntharajan August 14, 2010

I need 18 cells per page for filling addresses of five lines each. One or two addresses run for six lines and the last cell expands to the next page. As a result it affects all the pages and I have to re-align the tables.

I do not want cell to expand, but I would not mind if the font size reduces for the address having more lines. Is there any way to do this in any Office software be it Microsoft Office or Open Office?

In either Word or Excel (or indeed Open Office and many other similar packages) you can set the row height to exactly five lines. Additionally, in the spreadsheet applications there is usually a cell formatting option (under "Align") to "shrink text to fit cell" or words to that effect.

2. Lenna

1. Use Excel
    2. Draw the table
    3. Go to: View - Page brak preview and drag the blue line to the edge of the table.

Hope it helps.

If I understand you correctly, you may just want to make your template 6 lines instead of 5 to accommodate addresses that have 6 lines, or merge two lines together if you can.

If it affects the other pages, I am presuming the table will go to the next page and the rest will be blank, just turn on the ruler and drag decrease the page margin (the gap between the text and the edge of the page.

• Lenavesak

...or turn the page to landscape mode by going to: File-Page Setup-Landscape.

4. mukuntharajan

it is not solving my problem which is the table should not expand vertically and go to next page and then all later pages too get expanding vertically. due to this the last address in every page breaks.
    what i want is that the table cell should be of same size and should not expand but fit more lines by shrinking or reducing the size of the font

• Jack Cola

Can't you just decrease the font size then? Or select the text, right click, select paragraph and reduce the size between the lines.

To align the entire table on the page, you can select the entire table (on Table menu, point to Select, click Table) and use the paragraph alignment keyboard shortcut (CTRL+L for left, CTRL+E for center, CTRL+R for right) or the paragraph alignment buttons on the Formatting toolbar, instead of venturing into the Table Properties dialog box.

Avoid the urge to use Around (under Text wrapping) for the table. It is a cool feature, but tables with this formatting become floating objects, which makes them tougher to manage in the document.

Instead, use nested tables for placing tables and other content side by side.