Are there any tabbed text editors that remember previous sessions on reload?

Mango the Fruitarian August 28, 2010

I’m using Notepad++ and often have several tabs open. I know I can save my session, and reopen it later, but are there any tabbed text editors that let me automatically start them with the previous session already there waiting? I’m tired of closing it with 10 open tabs, then reopening it later with no tabs, and just want to continue my work from where I left it.

1. Mango Wodzak

thanks guys.. that's exactly what i needed.. for some reason it was unticked on my version.. maybe as it's a portable version i'm using.. - what's "programmer's notepad"??

• Josh Fox

Programmer's Notepad is essentially the same idea as Notepad++, just done a little different. I use it mainly for HTML, PHP, and CSS file editing in Windows.

2. Josh Fox

You said you use Notepad++. From what I can tell, it can do automatic session saving and restoring by enabling it in the settings.Settings > Preferences > MISC > Remember current session for next launchIt was enabled by default on mine. Maybe it was unchecked in your installation?EDIT: As an added note, Programmer's Notepad is capable of this as well, along with some other features that I feel Notepad++ is lacking and keeps me from using it.

3. Jessica Cam W.

For me, Notepad++ always starts with my previous tabs even if I don't hit 'Save Session'. I think it's because of this: Go to Settings > Preferences. In the dialog box, go to the MISC tab and make sure the 'Remember current session for next launch' box is checked.