Why does my system slow so much when I have multiple MakeUseOf tabs open?

Johnny W June 28, 2014

1) Why must I login every time I visit MakeUseOf.com? Can you good folks not fix it so if I visit regularly, your site remembers me so I don’t have to login each time I visit?

2) If I open 5 or 6 tabs with only MakeUseOf.com articles, my system slows to a crawl. I sometimes have up to 15, even 20 tabs open with just a little lag time with every other website, or multiple websites I read, but ONLY on MakeUseOf.com articles does it slow to a crawl with only 5 or 6 tabs open. Any idea what’s going on or what causes this, and how do I fix it? (Even with just 2 or 3 MakeUseOf.com articles open, my system slows noticeably. Please advise.)

Just to add to Bruce's comments, the login issue is almost certainly related to cookies and on my PC, I've found that Avast can interfere with the remembering of 3rd party cookies (on Firefox). Like Bruce, I frequently open a dozen or more MakeUseOf tabs in Firefox or Chrome (or both...) with little impact on performance, so it's not a clear cut problem with the site as such.

I would start by clearing the cache and cookies (you wil lose some logons as a result, but it's worth doing anyway. If that doesn't improve things, try disabling your AV and of course check that 3rd party cookies are allowed. If the problem continues, bring up Chrome's Task Manager (Shift+Esc) and look at the list of tasks to see if you can spot where the problem emenates from.

2. Chinmay S

Switch from Chrome to Firefox. Firefox can easily handle multiple tabs. But If you still want to use Chrome then follow these steps to enable Chrome to accept cookies:

1. Click the Chrome menu(hamburger) on the browser toolbar.
    2. Select Settings.
    3. Click Show advanced settings.
    4. In the "Privacy" section, click the Content settings button.
    5. In the "Cookies" section, make sure that "Allow local data to be set" is selected to allow both first-party and third-party cookies.

can be extensions/addons causing this
    you can open Chrome task manager and check what is causing this high memory problem.
    Press and hold the following hot keys: SHIFT +ESC to open chrome task manager.

it can be your antimalware slowing chrome

The login issue is most likely due to your browser not accepting 3rd party cookies. We use PunchTab to handle site logins and our rewards program. If PunchTab can't set a cookie on your system while you are on our site, it has no way to "remember" you.

James would have better idea of what is going on with the performance issues, but I can say that I can frequently have a dozen MakeUseOf pages open without seeing any ill effects using Firefox 30 on Linux or Windows.

• Howard B

One of the things I've noticed about MakeUseOf is that it uses FAR too many 3rd-party scripts, which may be a problem on slower or low-memory machines.

Thanks to NoScript, I'm seeing scripts from 22 other sites (some of which may be CDNs for others):

PunchTab.com
      GoogleAPIS.com
      Facebook.com
      Twitter.com
      Nrelate.com
      Facebook.net
      Cloudfront.net
      Newrelic.com
      NRCDN.com
      NetDNA-CDN.com
      PageFair.com
      Google.com
      Twimg.com
      Googleusercontent.com
      YTImg.com
      GStatic.com
      FBCDN.net
      Youtube.com
      GoogleTagServices.com
      DoubleClick.net
      BuySellAds.com
      GoogleSyndication.com

...this is ridiculous.

• Bruce E

Just remember that disabling these scripts will affect what works and what doesn't on the site. If you are blocking PunchTab, you can't log in or participate in the rewards program. If you block Twitter, Facebook, or Google, you can't share articles on your social networks. Blocking GoogleAPIS will stop the search function on the site, etc.

• Johnny W

Thanks, Bruce.