Why does my system fan turn off after booting my computer?

Vijay September 26, 2011

I have a problem with my system fan. As I am turning on my system, the system fan turns off within a minute and my screen goes black. Even the LED light of the monitor blinks.

I don’t understand where the problem is, but the mouse light is not turned off. This means that the power supply for the motherboard is coming clearly from SMPS. All other things, like heard disk, operating system etc. are fine.

Then where is the problem, I don’t understand. Please help me giving your advice.

I have an AMD processor with GigaByte motherboard.

1. Susendeep Dutta

The double comment is posted by Disqus.I didn't have any intention to do so.

2. Susendeep Dutta

Usually AMD processors especially older generation ones have more heat issues.Many users complain that AMD motherboards gets fried(abstract) due to heat.You must apply Artic silver 5 paste on your processor after cleaning work for reducing the temperatures to 30 degrees .

Hello, does your system give you any beeping when you start the system?  If it does, and depending on your BIOS manufacturer, you can find what they mean in the following link:

http://www.comptechdoc.org/hardware/beepcodes/1.htm

From your description it sounds a lot like an heat issue with either your CPU or GPU.

Depending on the motherboard capabilities it is possible that instead of shutting down your system uses a hibernate mode to cool down although this behavior is usually seen in laptops. At least it would explain why the mouse is still powered on.

I guess cleaning out all the fans and passive coolers with a brush and/or an air duster is always a good idea. If you don't have that option a vacuum cleaner should do the job too although not as effective. Just be careful that you don't suck up some jumpers or lose cables and block all the fans from rotating using a pencil, chopsticks or so.

Then I would try to start up and look into the systems BIOS ~ you can usually enter it by pressing DEL during boot (consult your motherboard or computers manual). All new or medium aged boards usually have some sort of hardware monitoring built in which should allow you to get a quick peak on the temperatures.

In addition you could monitor them for like 5 minutes and see if your system shows the same behavior (monitor and FAN goes off, mouse still "online"). Or maybe you have some Live CD e.g. Ubuntu Installation CD lying around to make sure it is not an operating system issue.