Why can I only sync a small amount of music files to with iPod nano?

Andy March 8, 2011

I have a new iPod nano that will only sync a small amount of music tracks.

I have restored the nano to factory settings, selected the songs I want to sync over (only about 300), but only 18 get transferred over.

I can see iTunes determining which tracks to sync, despite the usage bar showing all 300 in there, and then when it actually syncs the bar drops to nearly nothing and only a few songs get transferred over.

How do I fix it? My other Apple devices work ok! Very frustrating.

1. Andyruckley

Hi Mike & ha14

Many thanks for your comments and suggestions. I tried off of them and it still didnt work. What did work was when I was half way through the mediamonkey route it asked me to look for the folder for the itunes music... that is when i realised when i had moved my music library over from one computer to another I had put all the music into the wrong folder, i hadnt put them into the itunes media folder (they were in a different one i had obviously created without thinking properly about it) I saw that the music in the itune media folder was the recent music i had purhcased hence when i sync'd my ipod it only did those songs !

All recitified now... :-)

Many thanks for your help and suggestions.

Andy

Try With MediaMonkey and see if this can solve your problem, possible itunes is corrupted, did you update it?
    http://www.simplehelp.net/2007/07/08/how-to-use-mediamonkey-to-manage-your-ipod/

or reinstall itunes and restore ipod.

No need to look for iSync - Windows doesn't have it.

Since the songs are getting synced to other i-Devices it is hard to tell what causes the problem. Maybe interference with some other USB Device or a Software like AntiVirus. Maybe the iPod nano Firmware is damaged or defect.

- disconnect all unneeded USB devices from your computer

- deactivate your AntiVirus (just for testing purposes)

- Reset your Synchronization Options

1. uncheck all Sync options for Music
    deactivate "Sync only checked songs and videos" on the Summary tab
    deactivate "Sync music" on the Music tab
    2. click on Sync to activate the new settings
    3. recheck all Sync options for Music
    activate "Sync music" and set it to "All songs and playlists"
    activate "Sync only checked songs and videos"
    4. make sure all Music you want to sync is checked and click on Sync

- Force a re-download of the iPod nano Firmware and reset to Factory defaults

1. close iTunes
    2. locate and delete the Firmware.ipsw file

Windows Vista/7
    C:UsersusernameAppDataRoamingApple ComputeriTunesiPod Software Updates
    Windows XP
    C:Documents and SettingsyourusernameApplication DataApple ComputeriTunesiPod Software Updates

It is a hidden folder, if you don't see it open the Folder Options from the Tools menu and activate Show hidden files and folder
    3. open iTunes again, click on the iPod in the left hand pane and click Restore

If this doesn't help I can only think of removing the Apple Mobile device drivers and reinstalling iTunes.
    You can follow this guide from Apple about Reinstalling these drivers. But before clicking Scan for hardware changes I would de- and reinstall iTunes.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1538

4. Andyruckley

Hi Mike - I am using a windows pc (running windows 7) Will look for a iSync within the application folder but not sure if this is just a mac thing.

Hi ha14 - I have no error messages. Yes i know I have to manually add the tracks, i am doing this but the tracks I select are not being transferred.

Hi
    Do you have any error messages?
    http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1275

try this simply deleted all the songs from your itunes library and readded the music folder

Syncing music to iPod or iPhone
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1351

If its manually, you will always have to manually add the tracks to your iPod each time you add new music to your library and wish to sync it to your iPod

If you are using a Mac you can try resetting the Sync History.
    To do that you have to open iSync within your Application folder.
    Then go open the iSync Preferences and click on Reset Sync History.

Just keep in mind that this will reset ALL SYNC SETTINGS for everything that is using iSync.

7. Andyruckley

The tracks that arent getting sync'd do get syncd'd to my other devices. So its not the tracks.

Have you ever been able to sync those missing tracks to any other Apple device (iPhone, another iPod, ...)?

Maybe the codec is not compatible with your iPod nano.
    I would try to right-click and select "create MP3-Version" with like 5 of them or so and see if they will get synchronized.

It could also be possible that the source file is not available (e.g. on a removable media that is not connected or inserted). When you click the file in iTunes does it show you an exclamation mark next to the track?

It the codec seems to be fine and the source file isn't missing I would try to remove and re-add them to the iTunes Library.