How can I sync eMail across all my computers?

José Mª February 14, 2010

I would like to have identical eMail data in all computers I use in office and out. All computers use Thunderbird with POP3 and the OS is Win XP pro.
Thanks.

1. Anders Vinther

Yes, definitely IMAP...

We at http://www.Easy-Email.net have written very detailed guides for how you can set this up. The Essential Guides, which have everything you need to set up automatic email sycnhronization on as many computers as you would like are free to download.

Hope you find this helpful.

Cheers,

Anders

Probably use IMAP for this. Using POP3 can be a bit of a pain to use exspecially when you are download emails from multiple computers because if you don't have the "Leave message on server", or when you read emails already downloaded, they won't appear read on your other computers, so you will never have perfect sync between your computers. However, I found when I was using a IMAP with thunderbird, it was incredible slow as it took about 5 seconds to open a new email, and this was very time consuming.

However, I use POP3, but I am only using one computer. If I need to read my emails, Gmail Archives a copy for me, and if I want to view it on my phone, I set up another email account and just forward all emails to that (I do that as how my POP3 and Gmail settings are set up - it was just easiest)

3. ænon1mus

The easiest way is to enable IMAP. The system takes care of the rest. It also covers you from other unexpected accesses eg. email access from your phone, public computer and so on.

Hi José,

there are a few simple solutions. You could switch from POP to IMAP and sync your offline folders with mail stored online. You could also install and run Thunderbird or your profile from an external / flash drive and take this drive from one computer to the next.

More details in this MozillaZine article:
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Synchronizing_mail_on_two_computers_%28Thunderbird%29