How can I sync the calendars of two iPhones connecting to a Mac and a Windows computer?

Anthony March 19, 2011

Is it possible to sync my iPhone calendar with my wife’s iPhone calendar? She uses a Mac with iCal, I use PC with Windows Vista. Also I sync my iPhone calendar at work with Exchange.

I have tried to sync to a Google calendar with my phone, and get hers to sync there too, yet it did not seem to work.

Any ideas, leads, suggestions, inspirations?
Thanks in advance!

1. Dan

Hi.

I hope someone can help.....

I have an iPhone 4 and my girlfriend has an iPhone 4 and we have an iPad 2 at home. We want to sync the calendars from both our phones and our iPad so that wherever we are we can see the same calendar and what we have planned and also so we can update the calendar from any device and it will sync with the other.

I have read the forums and added my googlemail add on her phone through Microsoft exchange and done the same with her googlemail on my iPhone and then put both our emails on the iPad (mine as the googlemail account and the girlfriends as the Microsoft account)

Once completed her phone can see my calander details and the iPad can see my calendar details but my iPhone cannot see her calendar info and the iPad cannot either! Basically we appear to be half synced with her iPhone seeing everything and my iPhone and the iPad only seeing my stuff and not hers!

Hope this makes sense and someone can help!!!

Dan,

I'm sure someone can help, but I'm afraid they won't see your question in this old comment thread! I recommend that you ask a new question via MakeUseOf Answers.

Hi
    Use the invite function when you create the event, you can then send an email with the details to your wife and she can add it to her calendar.

MobileMe
    http://www.apple.com/mobileme/setup/iphone_ipod.html

CalenGoo
    http://calengoo.dgunia.de/Start.html

Mail2web
    http://m.lifehacker.com//398526/set-up-push-email-contacts-and-calendar-on-your-iphone-for-free

Google sync
    http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=138740&topic=14252
    Open the Settings application on your device's home screen.
    2. Open Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
    3. Tap Add Account....
    4. Select Microsoft Exchange
    Enter Account Info
    5. In the Email field, enter your full Google Account email address. If you use an @googlemail.com address, you may see an "Unable to verify certificate" warning when you proceed to the next step.
    6. Leave the Domain field blank.
    7. Enter your full Google Account email address as the Username.
    8. Enter your Google Account password as the Password.
    9. Tap Next at the top of your screen.
    9a. Choose Cancel if the Unable to Verify Certificate dialog appears.
    10. When the new Server field appears, enter m.google.com.
    11. Press Next at the top of your screen again.
    12. Select the Google services (Mail, Calendar, and Contacts) you want to sync.

13. Unless you want to delete all the existing Contacts and Calendars on your phone, select the Keep on my iPhone option when prompted. This will also allow you to keep syncing with your computer via iTunes

then to see someone else calender on your phone do this.

To select which calendars to sync to your Apple device, follow the steps below:

Open the Safari browser on your device and go to http://m.google.com/sync.
    Sign in with your account and select your device from the list of devices you've set up for Google Sync.
    Bookmark this page so you can return to it easily.
    If you use Google Apps, follow these steps:

Open the Safari browser on your phone and go to http://m.google.com
    Click on Google Apps user? at the bottom of the screen.
    Enter your domain name (e.g., YourDomain.com).
    Click the Sync icon in your domain area (this section has a green background).
    Sign in if required.
    Select your device to configure Calendars.

• Anthony

First off, thanks for such a detailed reply!
      I think the best option for us will be the Mail2Web service. I do not use an online calendar nor does she. We just want to sync our iPhone calendars to each other. It seems like the Exchange solution might work. I'm surprised there is no simple solution that does not involve Google. As I understand it, syncing with Google does not allow push notifications or appointment alerts.

I'll keep you posted with my solution.

The easiest method would be to sync all devices directly with Exchange. This way any change made would be synchronized to Exchange and then pushed to all other devices. But there are a few variables.

On the iPhone(s) there should be no problem setting up the Exchange Calender.
    Add an Email Account, select Exchange, input the server and login data. Before you finally add the account you can select to sync only the calender (instead of the entire Exchange account - Emails, Contacts, Calender).

On your PC you will need Outlook to access the Exchange Calender. Unfortunately you cannot select to sync only the calender. You will also have the Emails and Contacts in your Outlook.
    There are other clients supporting Exchange too but I never tried any of them

On the Mac there are various possibilities depending on a few things:
    If you are using Mac OS X 10.6 you can directly sync iCal with an Exchange 2007 (or later).
    If the Exchange Server is 2003 or earlier, you will need Entourage.
    If you are using Mac OS X 10.5 or earlier you will need Entourage.
    In both cases the final step is to enable sync between Entourage and iCal.
    If Entourage is your primary Application for Calendering you don't need to enable sync

----

Google Calender probably is the second best option, since it's free and all devices have support for it one way or another. I'm afraid I can't tell you why it didn't work for you.

On the iPhone(s) the setup is very easy:
    Add an Email Account, select Gmail, input your login data. Before you finally add the account you can select to sync only the Calender.

On the PC there are various options to add an Gmail Calender depending on the Software for example Windows Live Calender, Mozilla Sunbird.

On the Mac you can sync iCal with your Google Calender (Mac OS X 10.5 or later) or you can use some other Software like Mozilla Sunbird.

The only real barrier is to get your existing Exchange Calender into this setup. There are many ways but it probably comes down on to what Software you are using for the rest of the setup.