Symbolic Link over a Workgroup

Fred G January 26, 2014

I have a Intel Nuc set up as a media player for streaming etc, and it is working great. The only problem is I want to set up the family photos but don’t have enough space on the installed solid state drive.

I am thinking the answer is to create a symbolic link, between the Windows 8 PC the photos are on and the Nuc running windows 7, but I can’t get it to work using the tools I have found (Tools are Symlink Creator and Link Shell Extension).

Not confident enough in the command line approach as it seems overly complicated. Is symbolic link the answer, and what is the best method to set it up?

I would try mapping the shared photos as a network drive or as a network location.

Click on Start > Computer
    At the top select Map Network Drive
    Chose a drive letter and then click brows to navigate to the network folder

You can then access the images using the drive letter e.g. "X:"

Alternatively just right-click somewhere within the Computer window and select add network location. The wizard will guide you through but basically you can either browse through the network or input the location directly e.g. "\192.168.0.100photos", then click next and select a name e.g. "Photos".

In that case the the path on the Intel NUC wouldn't be a separate drive letter but instead be e.g. "C:UsersyournameAppDataRoamingMicrosoftWindowsNetwork ShortcutsPhotos"

I tend to use the latter (network location) more often as Windows tries to map a network drive during startup and on occasion it may fail (red X on the drive) wherein network locations don't have such a status but will only give you an error on access if the shared folder isn't available.

• Jan F

some backslashs were stripped:
      It's two backslashs in front of the IP, one afterwards
      the path would be "C: > Users > Yourname > AppData > Roaming > Microsoft > Windows > Network Shortcuts > Photos"

• Fred G

Duh!!!
      Thanks I don't know why I got caught up on symbolic links for, your answer is much better and I don't know why I didn't think of it. Thanks I reckon I have spent half a day searching for a way to get sym links working :(