Will switching from one country’s iTunes store to another cause issues in the long run?

Bhavuk October 5, 2012

Currently I am residing in India and I have changed my Indian iTunes store to US iTunes store. I have got some credit too in the US iTunes store.

Will there be any problem for me in the long run, since I am not using my own country’s iTunes store? Will I be able to re-download the apps any time that are purchased in the Indian iTunes store? Should I move back to my Indian iTunes store or just let it go with the US iTunes store?

1. Tim Brookes

Yes, very big issues in the log run. Basically, you should never change iTunes store ever if you have previously bought items. This is because you will need to switch back to the original store in order to re-download these items. They are not necessarily saved to your account, because each and every iTunes store operates as a separate entity governed by the trade rules in each country.

I moved from the UK to Australia, attempted to change my App Store (iTunes, Apple ID - it's all the same thing, the same card is used) which I did successfully except when I went to my "Purchases" area in the App Store I had no apps listed there whatsoever. I called Apple and they told me that the apps aren't carried across from overseas, and that I have to add another UK form of payment in order to re-activate the UK App Store and get my old apps back.

This absolutely sucks but there's nothing you can do about it. The worst thing that could happen is you move overseas (say to the US temporarily), switch to that App Store because you want to use your US credit card to buy things, then when you go home in a year you put your native (say Australian) credit card in and lo and behold you no longer have access to re-download the apps you bought in America. If you ever "lose" your US form of payment (i.e. you close the account, can't renew your card etc...) then you will never ever be able to reclaim these purchases because you will never be able to get back onto the US App Store without US payment options.

Sorry if this is confusing, but basically - I'd stick with your current store and deposit money into a lone bank account back home.

2. Mac Witty

As long as you log in to the "right" account there is no problem to re-download or update apps. I have used 2 accounts for ages without any problem. But you need to remember to log in and out.

3. Jan Fritsch

I assume you have a different Apple ID for the US iTunes Store?

In general there should be now problem using either. When there is an update for something bought on the Indian store you should be prompted for the Apple ID and password used to buy those - both, on the computer and the iOS device.

However, keep in mind that using the US iTunes Store outside of the US is against the agreement. Apple has the right to disable your US account at any time without refunds for the stuff you bought there.

• Bhavuk Jain

No, I am using the same apple id. I have just changed the country to US. I have got a $15 itunes card that I am using it on the US app store. So how will they verify me that I am using the US iTunes store from outside the US.

• Jan Fritsch

Most basically they can check which provider and which country the IP you are connecting from is registered.

Anyway, I know people who have been using the US iTunes Store outside the US for years and I know people where the account has been disabled being in violation of the iTunes Store Terms.

I strongly suggest to create individual Apple IDs, one for the Indian store, one for the US store and to buy at your local one whenever possible.

If the account does get disabled at least you still have full access to the stuff purchased legally in your countries store.

4. Harish Jonnalagadda

Yeah whatever you download from one store wont work if you change to another country.

iTunes is linked also to your iTunes name, if you changed your iTunes name when you changed iTunes store, you will have some problems when you sync via iTunes, but it is easier to download on your device. So you will have two account name on the same device. you will a need to switch back and forth between your two accounts to update any applications that were purchased with each one. Try to keep the same credit card info on both accounts.

Changing iTunes Store accounts when moving to another country
    http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/changing-itunes-store-accounts-when-moving-to-another-country/

TERMS AND CONDITIONS
    http://www.apple.com/legal/itunes/us/terms.html#GIFTS

iOS: Changing the signed-in iTunes Store Apple ID account
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1311