How can I switch off my microphone in Skype / Windows XP?

Ted Graves February 8, 2010

In Windows XP I’ve been using Skype, Logitech webcam, and recorder. Somehow my microphone has been permanently switched on. How do I shut it off? Is this advised?

Is the microphone part of the Logitech webcam? In that case you can't unplug it.
    I would turn it off or down through the Windows volume control as Jack described.

2. Mark O'Neill

If you are not on the phone to someone, then what does it matter if the microphone is on or not? If you are on the phone and you don't want the caller to hear anything, then just cover the mic with your hand or pull the cable out of your computer.

• Mindchoke

Wow, that's the lamest answer I have heard... LOL.. I bet you are from WVA.

• Mark O'Neill

and why is it lame exactly? I don't see you offering any alternatives of your own. Easier to mock isn't it?

• Lynchdenis

that doesnt work when the mike is built in to the laptop...and you dont know where it is.

The best thing to do is to turn it down. To do this, double click on your sound icon in the task bar. Go to Options, then property, click on Recording (ensure that the proper sound card you are using is selected) and turn your microphone down.

You can also go to control panel, sound, speech and audio devices, sounds and audio devices, click on the voice tab, under voice recording, click volume and turn it down.