Why should I switch from Leopard to Snow Leopard?

Musc November 12, 2010

I stepped over from Windows XP to Mac OS almost 3 years ago, after using Windows 98 and Windows XP for 11 years.

My new adventure with learning the use of MasOS Leopard has been wonderful. So far with my iMac and MacOS 10.5.8, I can not imagine a system that could do it any better. Of course I am very, very curious about Snow Leopard. I bought it with a ‘3 in one box’ software pack from Apple.

My Question is, as I love Leopard, can someone give me 3 good reasons why I should step over to Snow Leopard? Is there a real big difference or is it just a nicer looking environment? Will I have problems with older software?

1. Jmmcbrayer

There are a few enhancements and Snow leopard is only $30. At this point you might want to wait for the new Lion OS. It's due out summer 2011.

2. Bakari

From my point of view, I think it’s best to always maintain the latest system update for your computer, that is unless you’re running applications that can't run well on the updated version. You might also run across new or updated Apple and 3rd party apps requiring the latest Snow Leopard update.

*** for some reason the last bracket ")"was cut from the link, you need to add it to display the comparison correctly otherwise the details for 10.6 won't be shown ***

I fixed the link, thanks for pointing it out!

Your "profit" of upgrading to Snow Leopard mostly depends on your usage.For example most of the system was rewritten in 64bit (with few exception) but unless you have a lot of RAM and the software is optimized for 64bit you won't notice a difference. Snow Leopard is slightly faster than Leopard ~ depending on your system, startup items and background processes you won't really notice it.Look hasn't changed much from Leopard ~ changes made are more underneath.There shouldn't be any compatibility problem. Mac OS X 10.6 comes with Rosetta which enables you to run PPC only (as in older not updated software) on the system.Your best bet is to look here:http://www.diffen.com/difference/Leopard_(Mac_OS_X)_vs_Snow_Leopard_(Mac_OS_X)I don't think it is necessary to upgrade "right now" unless you have one or two of those Apps which require Snow Leopard. Just grab the 10.6 DVD next time you are going to do reinstall :)

• MuscArto

1000 x thanks for your excellent explanation. It was really helpfully for me to decide.
      Indeed after reading your opinion, I realise is not necessary to upgrade in my situation. :)

Musc