How do I switch to the international (.com) version of a website that’s constantly refering me to my country’s version of the site?

Mira May 6, 2011

I used to constantly get this with MSN.com, until I got rid of it as my homepage so I don’t care anymore. But I recently wanted to print out some nice Disney coloring pages for the kids at the center where I’m volunteering (OK fine I enjoy coloring too haha), but every time I go to Disney.com I get the option to visit the regular “.com” site or one tailored for my country (a.k.a. the lame version).

The site never remembers what I’ve chosen and every time I click on a link inside the site I get right back to square one and have to choose again. Any ideas on how to bypass this?

1. Mira

@smange:disqus @cnn-a039e2b6cbb8b5bd2cecc2e8dc:disqus thanks for your help. Cleaned all the cookies with Ccleaner and MSN seems to work, Disney.com's still giving me trouble but I guess it's just a subtle way of the site telling me I've outgrown my Disney days :) I just used Google Images and found pretty much all I needed. Thanks again

2. Angela Alcorn

This is a pet peeve of mine. Luckily, with most big sites, there's usually a url you can use to guarantee the normal site.

For instance, with Google you can use http://www.google.com/ncr or you can add &gl=us at the end. Some sites you can see they've added a uk/fr/es indicator in the URL somewhere. There will almost always be something like this you can adjust in the URL.

With the Disney site, it looks like when you first visit you're given the option to choose Disney.com or Disney international. But, if you're not in the US, you can click Disney.com as many times as you like and it just sends you back to that page. How useful! Anyway, I clicked the international link and then chose USA as my country and it gave me this unique URL which I believe has overridden the international settings. http://disney.go.com/index?intoverride=true

Maybe the first time you clicked international and then your country? Anyway, it's probably put a cookie on your computer to remind it of your choice. If you delete your cookies (or search for just that cookie) it should ask you for your choice again and you can set it to use the USA override.

Also, it looks like msn.com ask you for your city or US zip code at the bottom of the page and there's probably a permanent setting within your login details too. Good luck!

3. Mark O'Neill

If you have an account on the site, set your location to the United States. That normally switches you to the .com site.

Other than that, it sounds like you have a cookie problem and it can't remember your choices. Have you switched on your browser cookies? If so, when are they due to expire? When you close the browser or never? Set it to "never" and it should begin to remember what you chose.

4. Lech

While surfing the NET, use a proxy with servers in another country or a VPN service (some are free).

• Mira

Hmm sounds a bit complicated I'll have to look into it, thanks :)