What can I do if I suspect that my email was opened in another location?

suresh January 13, 2012

In my GMail account, I found the information at the bottom which says:

This account was opened in 1 other location 223.234.244.xxx”. I suddenly opened another tab, and go to ‘findmyip.com’ website to verify what exactly my IP address, it shows my IP as “141.0.8.56.”

So my doubt is, any possibility of my account being opened by other person?
Help me. Thanks in advance.

1. Saleem_perwez

i received an email that send password or ur account will be closed.
    unfortunately i send the password and my account is now misusing by another man who is sending fake emails to all my relatives for money.
    saleem_perwez@hotmail.com
    this is my account , i m very upset now , every one is calling me abt fake emails, pls help me out , and send my email new pass word to my wife email address as under
    humera_saleem2@yahoo.com
    the same fellow is a big cheater , he also hacked my yahoo pass word now , i send my pass word which is big mistake what i made.pls help me out for God sake, he also change my secret question.
    saleem

Saleem,

I'm afraid we can only give you advice how to eventually regain access to your account. We can not send you a new password.

I recommend to report abuse of this account and try to get in touch with customer support. They will be able to help you. If you ask a new question and tell us which email provider you are having this issue with, we may be able to give you more specific tips.

In the future, just be careful which email links you click and whom you share your password with. Hopefully this is a lesson learnt.

2. Jay.0

You should keep changing your password to be safe. 
    But,
    141.0.8.56 belongs to opera software !Were you using opera browser ? Try other browsers to check your ip , does it show different ip or ip that starts with 234 ?

It is possible that the second ip is yours, especially if you are from south and an airtel user. Are you ?

Gmail sometimes shows your own ip at another location, I don't know why this happens. 

open last login activity (press ctrl+f and find: last login activity)

You will see a log of time and ip addresses of your usage, which may clear your doubts.

Click on sign out all other sessions.http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=45938&ctx=gmail

Hello, have you opened you gmail account from a cellphone recently or a different computer?  If you have not, make sure to stop that connection if still active and then make sure to implement two step verification for your account.  Changing password and make sure your account is really secure would be a good step to take.

Did you try finding out where the other ip address was?  You can try a whois tool to find out.

http://www.whois.sc/

change your password and see if the problem solves