Is supplemental language support necessary in Windows XP?

Rickesh John April 21, 2012

While trying to increase the performance of my PC, I stumbled into “Supplemental Language Support” in Regional and Language options. Are these actually necessary? I mean, will un-checking them create any problems with the regular functionality of my system? I am pretty sure that I do not require additional languages installed in my PC. Please advice.

1. Rickesh John

Thanks for the replies guys. I removed the extra installations and there was no significant gain in speed or anything for that matter.

2. jhpot

I'm going to echo the sentiments here and say that while removing it probably won't hurt anything it also probably won't help very much. 

While the "supplemental" languages take up a bit of disc space, they make no difference at all to performance. The only exception is the Far Eastern languages (Chinese, Japanese) which, if "activated" increase the memory requirement of Windows.

If you only use one language, there is no need for any others to be installed.  In most installations, there is only on installed in the first place, but you can safely remove any others that are there that you do not use.  They are for changing system prompts and messages to other languages and controlling the formatting of currency, dates, etc.