What is the best way to get suggestions for relevant WordPress tags?

Andrei March 9, 2011

I write on a collective blog, and we noticed that many of the tags we chose for our posts were actually not chosen by any other blogger. :((

Is there any program or online tool where we could input the blog text and get suggestions on WordPress tags. Ideally it should work on languages other than English.

1. Carol Mortensen

Zemanta..without a doubt

2. Andrei

I was definitely talking about tags.

The thing is that we are trying to attract traffic from WordPress tags (**.wordpress.com/tag/*). It so happens that we get very little traffic from that source, and we have also noticed that many of our tags are a bit too technical (so that oftentimes the only article we see on the tag is ours).

I agree that the process should have a manual touch, but maybe not 100% manual. The way i see it an app coul go two ways: either (1) suggest a list of tags (of which 80-85% would be manually discarded or (2) check a list of manually created tags and see (2.1) if they are also shared by other blogs and (2.2) if there are any related tags.

BTW, I am aware of the difference between tags and keywords, though similar tools for keywords would be interesting.

3. Ryan Dube

Hey Andrei,

I'm not sure if you're talking about tags or keywords, a lot of people confuse the two and they each have very distinct purposes and uses. If you're talking about picking tags for the tag cloud or navigation, I'd highly recommend avoiding automating the process. Tags are really useful for your visitors to navigate posts on your site that cover similar topics, so it's a really good idea to identify the top topics (such as people, places, organizations, major topics) that the post covers, and use these for your tags. This is great visitors because it's a useful way to navigate your site for specific topics, if your posts are well-tagged.

One the writer or editor will do the best job identify the most significant topics that the post is about.

Hope that helps?

-Ryan