Can you suggest an online community calendar solution?

Jenna November 30, 2010

I would like to create an ‘upcoming events’ website that is open to everyone in my home state. It will show area charity events, workshop, and class options people involved with children with disabilities.

I’d like to use a calendar tool that can list events by date, sort by topic, city, perhaps expand to show more detail, etc… Other dream features would be a reminder tool and ability to share events on social media.

There are ways to list all this info or put it on a Google calendar but maybe I am looking for something at the next level. Easy to navigate, filter, etc. The site tool needs to be open to everyone and not limited to logged in users or subscribers.

Does anyone have any calendar tool suggestions? Or perhaps another tool would work better?

Thanks for your help.

J

1. Jascribbles

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I think since I am such a novice I will give Google calendars a try.

Jenna

2. Robert S.
  3. Andrew E Lumley

my.calendars.net is a possibility but not full featured, but is free.

by reading your question I could think of one of the following things:
    - Google Calender / Live.com Calender
    - Facebook Group page where you post all the upcomming events
    - mixin.com (http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/ungoogled-my-week-without-google-a-list-of-alternatives-for-googles-services/)

• Jascribbles

Well -
      Live.com will not work since it seems you need to log in to use it.

Facebook event pages don't allow for sorting, filtering by city, topic, etc. It is just a rolling page of info.

Mixin seems to push out to social network sites or icals of people I have set up as friends. I'm trying to avoid any type of sign up or connection needed. Any passer by will be able to see the list of upcoming events.

One point of clarification - I am not hosting or managing this events. I'm just wanting to list them.

So something similar to what a running or biking club might do. What runs are happening, where, length, type, etc... people can sort by city, distance, skill level, etc.

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate your thoughts on this.

J