Can you suggest alternatives to info@mydomain for a new email address?

besanson September 28, 2012

Any suggestion to avoid creating an email that reads info@mydomain.com? Every time I get an email from an address that starts with info@… I think it’s spam and I want to avoid that.

So what can I use instead of info for the sender account?

1. Rob Hindle

Spammers know that if they email common addresses at every domain they can find there is a good chance of some getting through. Those common addresses are names like admin@, info@, sales@, contact@, enquiries@, billing@, suport@, manager@ so don't use any of those. Their next trick is to email to every common forename at the domain stephen@, jenny@ etc, thats quite a big list so it's going to cost them more. Another is to send to every 4 letter combination @, I know because I came back from lunch one day to find my mailbox full, 32,000 emails following that pattern. That's why I no longer use a catch-all account to collect wrongly addresses mail. The total 4 letter combinations is nearly half a million so that's limited to carefully selected domains they really want to target because the estimated cost of sending that many is about $5 (probably purchased usage of a botnet).

So what SHOULD you use? Longer and less obvious but still meaningful names like [forename].[surname]@ (e.g. john.smith@), sales.enquiries@, product.info@

Another spammer tool is email address hervester programs which scour websites looking for email addresses so use an obfuscation technique to make that harder for them. One way to do that is to write the email address as john(dot)smith(at)example(dot)com and hope the reader can understand. A smarter way is to use something like javascript encoding using a tool like this http://hivelogic.com/enkoder/.

Someone else suggested using an enquiry form. That's not so easy because spammers have robot programs to find and complete web forms so you need to do something to block them - like the hard-to-read CAPTCHA codes you often see.

You may think these precautions are excessive. They may be but I'm not suggesting anything difficult and it's easier to get it right first time than to have to deal with a problem later.

2. Nicki Vigil

This should be an easy one...you want something general but that doesn't carry the stigma of spam. Inquiries@... Home@.... you can break it out by department ...sales@ or even the good old webmaster@.....support@.....
    or you could go the other extreme and go with CEO@...the world is your oyster just pick a pearl!

3. Dimal Chandrasiri
  4. Jhon H. Caicedo

You haven't specified what information are you sending that would give us a better way to suggest addresses.

contact@domain.com
    sales@domain.com
    billing@domain.com
    support@domain.com
    manager@domain.com

5. Priya Agarwal

Don't really understand why you would want to avoid info@ for your site in the first place. The mailbox is generally not the part I am paying attention to when determining if something is crap; the domain is a much better indicator if incoming mail should be blocked as are several other fields in the header. When spam detectors flag a message, it is more frequently due to information other than the mailbox. But if you decide that info@ is not appropriate for your site, Freecycle's list of synonyms would be a good place to start (or grab a thesaurus).

7. Freecycle Me

there is a multitude of addresses you can use. Just putting information and synonym into google gives facts, news, advice, ammo, break*, chapter and verse, clue, confidence, counsel, cue, data, dirt*, dope*, dossier, earful, enlightenment, erudition, illumination, info, inside story, instruction, intelligence, knowledge, leak, learning, lore, lowdown, material, message, network, notice, notification, orientation, propaganda, report, science, scoop, score, tidings, tip, what's what, whole story, wisdom, word.

I think you should look at why you are getting these mails. Yes, to some degree there will be chancers to send to info, but if you display this address on your website you are just as likely to have it caught from a harvester. If you sign up to websites at this address you may inadvertently get sold on or harvested from that website. It is so easy to release an address.

On a website, I would use a webform that that hides the email address in code or you can script the mailto address to include pre set text, look here for the idea http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum21/5952.htm

Spam can be a nightmare but if you set a plan of dealing with it you can minimise it almost completely.

• HLJonnalagadda

Yeah so easy to release addresses these days.. sigh..

8. salim benhouhou