Why do I suddenly get a warning message when I visit a specific website?

Linda Tavernarakis December 16, 2011

When I go to a certain website I get this pop-up message: “The page includes secure and non-secure items. Do you want to display the non-secure items?”

I use the website all the time and just today I started getting this message. How do I fix it?

Hello, If you visit this site and have to login I would be very hesitant to do so.  You can only wait for site to be made secure, not visit/login to site, or login to site regardless of warning.  If you happen to login to this site when you visit, I would try to find what the non-secure items are.  To do so, I would login to site blocking the non-secure items.  If one of the non-secure items is the login, I would not login at all. Are you using Firefox?

You can't. It has to be done by the website creator.

Basically what happens is that some of the contents are loaded via HTTP and some via HTTPS (HTTP with SSL).

For example a page could be loaded via HTTPS yet contain a login form that is only using HTTP. Since the page is SSL encrypted you will see the secure sign (SSL lock) on the browsers toolbar and think the site is secure. Yet the login information is transferred without encryption.

That's why your browser gives you a fair warning that some parts of the website are not secure.