Why have I suddenly lost Administrator rights on my computer?

Westozi September 8, 2010

My computer is 5 years old and now will not let me remove programs, saying I don’t have Administrator rights. I have always had rights to add or remove programs. How do I get those rights back? I am the only one who uses it as it was built for me and has only ever been used at home.

Westoze,

please specify your operating system.

What are the last programs you installed, i.e. could it be that one of them took over your system?

Are there any other symptoms? For example, did you find other user accounts? Or is your computer or internet running slow, producing errors etc.?

• Westozi

Windows XP is the operating system. No other accounts found on the system. System is not running slowly nor does it appear to be producing errors. From my recollection this started after the last time I took it in for repair.

I assume you go through add/remove programs.
        Does this affect all programs or just a specific one?
        If it's just one specific program, I would try to use an uninstaller, like Revo.

Otherwise it's probably more substantial. This is what I found in Google:
        http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread80877.html

I would definitely try to create a second administrator account and see if you can reproduce the problem. If not, you can take it from there.

I suggest trying Revo Uninstaller as well. Let us know if it works. I remember having similar problems in the past but don't recall how I fixed it. Try Revo, I think it should work.