Can’t successfully install AdAware or AVG/Avast AntiVirus on XP

citizenearth February 2, 2010

Recently, I tried to install antivirus and anti-malware programs like AdAware and AVG/Avast but nothing seemed to work. After I have gone thru the installation process, the notice dialog box indicated that there is insufficient files to run the program.

The operating system on my PC is Windows XP SP1. What seem to be the problem?

1. Taty

Yes, downloading the whole program before you start the installation should fix that. But do check your memory. It sounds like you might be out of harddrive space.

The first thing I would look at is how much room my hard drive has. It almost sounds like you don't have the hard drive space to install the programs.

Along with the steps advised above I would go to and run their free scan. After the scan completes it will give you advise based on your PC.

3. Terry Hollett

Assuming that you don't already have a virus/adware on your system, my guess its the SP1. Try to upgrade to SP2 and see if it makes any difference.

If you can't install, try an online scanner to check for virus/adware:

4. John

Try downloading the files and saving to your desktop. Then right click on the installation file and click on run as administrator. You may need to disable any anti virus software before running.