How can I get subtitles to work using the program AVIaddXSub?

dominic April 7, 2011

I have been trying to put to gather a srt subtitle file and a avi file and I’m using AVIAddXSub program to do this. However, I’m having trouble writing the correct path. I keep on getting failed messages, for example:

[1.avi] “1.srt” not found WARNING:1 FILE(S) FAILED. See above. END OF OPERATION.

[1.avi.avi]
No srt or idx/sub files found
Looking for:
“1.avi.srt”
[and if this exists optionally:
“1.avi-2.srt”
or “1.avi-3.srt”
or “1.avi-4.srt”
or “1.avi-5.srt”
or “1.avi-6.srt”
or “1.avi-7.srt”
or “1.avi-8.srt”]
or “1.avi.idx”+
“1.avi.sub”
1.srt.srt]
No srt or idx/sub files found
Looking for:
“1.srt.srt”
[and if this exists optionally:
“1-2.srt-2.srt”
or “1-3.srt-3.srt”
or “1-4.srt-4.srt”
or “1-5.srt-5.srt”
or “1-6.srt-6.srt”
or “1-7.srt-7.srt”
or “1-8.srt-8.srt”]
or “1.srt.idx”+
“1.srt.sub”
WARNING: 2 FILE(S) FAILED. See above.

I have been writing like this:
“I:\Documents and Settings\ComputerBoffs\Desktop\sub\VIDEO\1.avi.avi|I:\Documents and Settings\ComputerBoffs\Desktop\sub\VIDEO\1.srt.srt”

I have tried numerous ways. Please help! I really enjoy watching Asian movies and would love to be able to watch them on my PS3. Would appreciate anyone’s advice. Thank You!

1. Anonjohnsc

I'm getting ".avi not found" even though I'm trying to encode an .mp4.  I feel like the gui is pretty simple yet made for just .avi.

John,

this sounds like a new question. If you are looking for an answer, I recommend that you ask a new question via the respective button in the top left on MakeUseOf Answers.

Dominic,

did ha14's solution work for you? Please give us some feedback. Thank you!

• Dominics

Sorry guys but unfortunately im still getting the same issue. ive gone through your steps over and over again to no avail. its so frustrating as this seems very simple and im nt that incompetent wen it comes 2 computers. is their somthing im doing wrong?

Dominic,

thanks for the feedback. I will add your question to Tuesday's Toughest Questions roundup to give it some more exposure.

1.Create a shortcut of AVIAddXSubs.exe in your desktop.
    2.In a directory place the AVI file and its associated (same name) srt. e.g. movie.avi and movie.srt.
    3.Drag & Drop any number of avi files (in the same folder) to the icon of AVIAddXSubs in the desktop. You can also drag&drop any number of folders instead of separate files. In this case avi/divx files in these folders and their sub-folders will be processed. You can also start the program with a right click on a selected avi (or group, even a group of folders). See "Right Content menu option" at "Configuration 2" tab.
    4.At Configuration/SUB1 edit character set and language to your local (Use ANSI for character set in case of English/Spanish/Italians/Germans etc).
    5.At "Configuration 1""SUB 1" select XSUB (default) or Idx/Sub.
    6.Press "Start"
    http://www.calcitapp.com/AVIAddXSubs.php

Go to configuration1/sub1

Make sure you activate XSUB (top left corner)

Then look at bottom left: srt extension.

if your film is named "Me.avi" and your subtitle is named "Me-en.srt", type in "-en", so all that's coming after the film name, but without the extension.

For Me-clip.avi and Me-clip.01.srt, type in ".01"

Don't forget to set the language correctly and maybe you will need to adjust the character set.