In Facebook, is the ‘interested in meeting men/women’ option selected per default?

Nadia Naive November 29, 2010

I feel rather foolish here but I am probably the last person on the planet who doesn’t use Facebook. Nevertheless, a friend told me I should join and I did and my husband popped up as someone “I might know” (ya think?).

There was his picture and personal data and the statement “interested in meeting women”. I confronted him about what I found and he adamantly denied having added that to his profile. He said he may have forgotten to de-select it, but the Facebook personal profile section doesn’t use de-selecting, correct? One has to select the option “interested in meeting women/men”?

He said he has no idea how the statement got there and yet he also had increased security regarding others having to request full access to his page. Is there any way his story could be true? Could someone else have edited his own page or could the “women” statement be there by some malfunction on the part of Facebook? Or, given what you all know about how Facebook works, is it more likely that my husband is lying?

1. Jeff

It doesn't say "interested in meeting" men or women. It gives you an "interested in" option ie are you straight or gay while filling out your personal information. It's very easy to overlook or misunderstand how it will appear on the FB page. But you misread it because it doesn't say "interested in meeting" only "interested in".

Since the same information appears in public to everyone, and since you obviously have lots of mutual friends and family on FB (obvious since FB suggested you might know him that you had many mutual connections) chances are very good no one would be foolish enough to try to pull a fast one in front of so many people you both know.

2. Thesky

Thank you for your comment Tina. I am not on facebook as well, and I have noticed recently my husband has done the same thing, that got me concerned. So I am now thinking of not questioning him about it as if it was something on the lines of looking for a date or a relationship I would definately be really worried and seriously question him..

Nadia,to my knowledge, the option is not selected per default. This said, your husband probably did select it. Chances that someone else hacked his account just to check this option are low. However, it's possible, especially when he remained logged into his Facebook account on a computer that could be accessed by someone else.Far more important, however, is that 'interested in women' isn't a bad setting. You of all women should know your husband is interested in women. Worse would be if he had selected 'Looking for dating / a relationship' or indicated his marital status was 'single'. That would get me seriously worried!There is a chance that with all the options he was presented with, he didn't click the 'interested in women' one with bad intentions. Now that you found it, however, he may feel stupid for not paying better attention to what he was clicking.Make of this what you want, but keep in mind that jealousy and lack of trust can destroy a relationship. You both have to work on it.

• Pradeeprajpals

hi i need a friend or women for dating because i am unmarried and want a relationship with girl how can it possible and one thing more madam can u tell me if i urge of sex but i am unmarried so what can i do