Why can I stream TV and sign into Skype but not open websites or chat on Skype?

Mulayhafid February 8, 2011

I am student and I study abroad. The time difference is +8 hours.

In my school internet is banned after 12:00 pm, straight after my family and friends sign in. So no one can get access to internet at all.

However, after 12 I can sign into Skype, but I can not talk to someone outside the school. When I try to call someone it says there is no proxy. However, I can watch stream TV or broadcast and I can download any file if I started downloading it before 12.

I really need your help. Is it possible to benefit from this or not?

Is it possible to change the proxy or the IP or something like that?
Please help, I have not talked to my friends and family for a long time!

Operating system: Ubuntu 10.10 or Windows XP.

There is no ethical advice I or any one else can really give you. If you do find a way to proxy or tunnel around your schools firewall or other systems, You are going to break your schools policies. You could well get in trouble with the school, and depending on were you are at it could well be criminal.

• mulay

thanks Richard !! but Can I just have an explanation about how this happen, how could someone have excess to something and not the rest, i mean if i start talking before that time, i can still talk without stopping. What does that mean, if no one mind.

A quick answer is ports. There are 65000 TCP/IP ports that software use, the school can not block all of these ports because the school has software that uses those ports. If they did, the software they use would not work. The download / software you use are not blocked by the firewall / equipment they use to filter / block your internet experience.