Why can I not stream movies smoothly on my Windows Vista desktop computer?

Juan Olvera September 24, 2011

I have a desktop computer that is a Windows Vista.

When I watch movies from the computer (local cable provider or Netflix), the movies seem to stutter or flutter. And the sound does the same. Is there a way I can fix it?

I also have a laptop with Windows 7 and it works fine, I have no issues on the same thing. The movie stream comes in fine.

Can you help?

Thank you,
Juan

1. Juan Olvera

Ok, it's not the internet connection. I checked that. I may try the video card after I try cleaning up my memory a bit.  I know, I probably do not have enough memory to handle the load, but I will try it. 
    The Windows 7 is on the same network.  I use it for myself.  And the desktop is used by my roomate. 
    Thanks for your suggestions and your help. I will try them all.
    Also, thanks to you both, Jeffery and Tina.
    Juan Olvera

Probably either your video card or internet connection (most likely). You can test the network theory by simply letting the movie render for a while, if it still stutters after that it's probably your video card. Sometimes (rarely) not having enough memory will cause this as well.

If the network connection was the problem, then why would it work fine on his Windows 7 laptop?

My first guess would have been that it's hardware related. Maybe a graphics card with low or shared memory in the desktop PC or not enough RAM. It could also be an issue with Windows Vista.

• Jeffery Fabish

There are simply too many variables to determine for sure (Silverlight version, browser, connection type, etc.). He didn't say the Windows 7 system was even on the same network. Also, if Juan is streaming Netflix via Windows Media Player, Windows 7 and Vista use two different versions by default. 

Windows 7 also makes use of GPU acceleration by default, Vista does not.