Can I store Virtual Box machines to an external hard drive?

Myke46 July 10, 2011

I would like to know if there is a way to install Virtual Box on a system and keep the virtual systems on a separate drive in order to save hard drive space on main system. The host, in my case, is Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1.

Than You both for your help

2. sushil kumar

yes you can do this easily.when installing VM select any drive which you want .

I only use VirtualBox on my Mac but I'm sure the Windows version does offer this option too. 

There should be an option within the settings where to store the VMs by default. Also when creating a VM you should be able to select it's (storage) location individually.

Just make sure you store everything (VM configuration, snapshots and virtual hard disks) at the same location. This way you won't have to worry about anything if you are going to reinstall your host system or you want to use the VMs on a different computer.