How can I best store pictures and videos long term?

Boyd September 30, 2010

My backup hard drive is full. What is the best long term storage for files like pictures and videos so I can free up space?

1. Saikat Basu

Agree with the external drive suggestion as the best solution to store images and videos. You can consider the online backup solutions as an additional backup solution as far as images go. Videos take up lots of space and I don't think you can stuff them all in in the free space that most cloud services offer. For instance, I store a selection of my most memorable images online too apart from an external drive.

Check out our complete lineup of posts on online storage - http://www.makeuseof.com/tags/online-storage/

2. M.S. Smith

I second just buying another hard drive. It's the least expensive and least time consuming way to backup information. If you wait for a sale you can pick up a 1TB external drive for under $100 these days.

3. Jitu Faisal

Considering the size of your media collection, you have four options:1. Backup your media to DVDs, but you'll need a lot of them because photos and videos usually take up a lot of space.2. You can upload to a web service like Mozy (which are paid)3. Backup your media to a network drive around the house4. Buy another backup drive; this is the most long term and safest solution. You can also backup other things in the future. 500 GB external hard drives are pretty inexpensive these days.