Why is my storage media smaller than advertised in Windows?

Divyam November 14, 2010

I use Windows 7 32-bit Core2Duo 2GB RAM.

When I use a USB of 4 GB, it gives only 3.7 GB.
And at my 500 GB hard drive is only 465 GB.
How do I repair?

I feel this is a common Windows problem.

Tina is right. Another issue is that when you format a disc, you use some of the space on it for storing the file system information. Things are actually much better nowadays than they used to be - in the days of floppy discs you would have lost 33%!

2. Vijay C

I Think it is right, what above solution

Divyam, we have had a similar question before, but I cannot find it now. I will add the link later.Anyways, I know the answer. This is not a problem with Windows. But you're right, it is very common. However, it's a logical phenomenon. 1 GB is equal to 1024 MB. This is a fact of digital data storage and this is how Windows calculates. However, when hardware manufacturers advertise size, they calculate with 1000 MB per 1 GB. So as you can see, there is a difference of 24 MB. When you multiply that by 4 or 500, it becomes quite a big difference. For once Windows is not to blame.Let us know whether this answer made sense to you. Thank you!

• timmyjohnboy

I've personally always thought this to be false advertising and ought to stop.

The size advertised by manufacturers is correct.

Manufacturers state the raw unformatted space because that's how the hard disks are shipped ~unformatted~.
        Since they have to calculate the size of the disk somehow they are using SI units, which are unfortunately in decimal (Base-10)
        Kilo = 10^3 = 1000, Mega = 10^6, Giga = 10^9

Operating systems on the other hand usually calculate in binary code (Base-2)
        Kilo = 2^10 = 1024, Mega = 2^20, Giga = 2^30

there you go, poor little Gigabytes :) and then there is another portion of disk space lost because you have to format the drive and file systems are some nasty little space-eating buggers ~ that's the whole magic behind the "missing disk space"

FYI those complaints about "missing space" was the reason for Apple to change the calculation of disk space to Base-10 in Mac OS X 10.6

• timmyjohnboy

Good explanation, but I think advertising the decimal-based number when the everyday user will see the binary-based number comes across as deceiving. Although technically correct, it muddles it up a bit. I can see the manufacturers' challenge though.

In theory, I agree with you. But the again obligation to inform is he who sells the drive. If you buy directly from the manufacturer you will always read a line like the following [from WD]

"One gigabyte (GB) = one billion bytes. One terabyte (TB) = one trillion bytes. Total accessible capacity varies depending on operating environment."

Apparently the one to blame is either yourself for not reading the warning, or the shop/assistant who didn't mention it.

As for the manufacturers' challange, another example:
          NTFS format with Windows 7 will create a hidden 100MB partition "System-reserved" with crucial system files
          HFS+ format through Mac OS X (on Intel) will create a hidden 200MB partition "GPT" (part of the GUID Partition Table)

you get the idea... right?