How do I stop Windows XP trying to re-install itself every time I restart?

Pwince Khan October 22, 2012

I use Windows XP Service Pack 2 and recently I tried to upgrade it to Windows XP Service Pack 3 via CD. When I started to install manually from my computer, it only copied the files from the CD and then asked to restart. I restarted but found out that it wanted to delete my Windows XP installation and format my C: drive.

I cancelled the installation, but now whenever I restart my computer it asks for the XP setup CD. How do I stop it? I can use my PC as normal by cancelling the setup, but it would be really helpful if someone can help me!

Thanks.

1. Macnoisee Aziz

I advice that you should just format the drive C. then after that, try using the file recovry software to restore you data.

2. Boni Oloff

I don't know the exact way, but i do reinstall it if i were you.

3. Nikhil Chandak

ask the company from which u hv buyed ur PC

4. Ahmed Khalil

i think you install windows xp partially and it is now detected by the pc, try to but the cd and select to cancel the installation

5. josemon maliakal

The xp support has already ended ...i prefer windows 7 ..

if you want to do sfc /scannow you will need windows xp sp3 cd, even if you want to repair you will need that CD XP SP3.

the Windows File Protection service constantly monitors for any changes to the main system files. Well Windows XP keeps a cache (copy) of these essential files at the following location:

C:WINDOWS\System32\Dllcache (assuming C: is your system root which it probably is.)
    http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html
    if the Dllcache folder, or part of it, has become corrupted for some reason then you will be prompted for the XP CD - so your computer can get a clean copy!
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/system_file_checker.mspx?mfr=true
    If the %systemroot%\system32\dllcache folder becomes corrupt or unusable, use sfc /scannow, sfc /scanonce, or sfc /scanboot to repair the contents of the Dllcache directory.

7. Dino Pearsons

The setup is now in your MBR, but you can fix that easily. Here's a guide:
    http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/repairmbr.htm

• tanveeer khan

previous Windows versions up to Windows XP were removed or changed - some of which ... graphics drivers are installed, console programs can be

• tanveeer khan

Windows XP introduced many features not found in previous versions of Windows. ... patch sequencing to install patches in the correct orde

• tanveeer khan

2000 , including Windows XP , Windows Server 2003 , and all their successors to date ... Some media players have also tried to use ADS to store