How can I stop Windows 7 restart and reminders after installing updates?
Question by Tom /

In Windows XP you could stop those annoying messages to restart your computer to finish installing important updates. Have that set in Windows 7, but they still come up. Any way to stop them?

• Eric

Fortunately, my work machine has gpedit.msc; my home machine has a second-class version of Windows.

I really like this:
    If the status is set to Disabled or Not Configured, the default interval is 10 minutes.
    Does Microsoft not understand what “Disabled” means?  A default behavior is what happens when something isn’t configured – not when it’s disabled.

I’ve been a Windows fan since version 1, which came bundled with the mouse I bought for AutoCAD(?).  Hated – HATED – Macs; they were illogical – aimed at artistic types.

After nearly 20 years, I bought a Mac Pro to host virtual machines for my Windows servers.  The software is so much better -hardly any of the stupidness that’s taking MS by storm.  (Another example: the awful UI of NT Backup where columns can’t even stay put between mouse clicks; it’s been replaced by something even less useful.)  So I can pay $2400 to upgrade my family’s computers to Windows 7, or bite the bullet and buy Macs – where OS upgrades cost only $35.

HMMM – fume helplessly at MS’ half-baked software, or vote with my wallet?  We now have three Macs; MS is slipping away…

• Asdf

LOL all of these comments do not combat the nagging balloon that pops up.  In fact a few of them even tell you to restart, something you are postponing because you asked to stop the nagging reminders! LOLz

• SayaBanpaia

For my sister’s Windows 7, to stop those annoying pop ups whe logging on you do the following

1) go into START menu
    2) type RUN in seach bar and click the RUN option that as a blue icon beside it (should be blue)
    3) type (    msconfig    ) in
    4) a small window should pop up, click the STARTUP
    5) DEselet the items you DO NOT want to apper when you restart computer, only leave the ones you do ant to pop up, checked
    6) Click OK and/or APPLY
    7) DONE : D
    This should stop them for good, you can always change it later

• Tomp5331

ha14, I had “No auto restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updates installation” enabled but not that one.  And Fidelis, I do have Pro.  I liked it better in XP because you could do more with it.  I had been bringing up a command window and stopping updates before to stop the message.  But with that enabled now, I set it for 10 hours for the reprompt message to pop up again.  Thanks.

Hello, what version of windows 7 are you running?  There are some versions of windows 7 where you can not add/use the gpedit.msc.  As long as you have windows 7 Professional, Enterprise and Ultimate you can use it.  If you have windows 7 home and starter edition you can not.  

Turn off automatic Windows Update reboots

1.Click Start -> Run
    2.Enter “gpedit.msc”
    3.Go to Local Computer Policy -> Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update
    4.Double-click on “Re-prompt for restart with scheduled installations” “No auto-restart for scheduled Automatic Update installation”
    5.Disable it! Enable it!
    6.Reboot the computer