How can I stop the scrollbar on my touchpad from moving pages I’m viewing?

Beth Patterson August 1, 2011

There is a little ‘scroll bar’ that pops up unexpectedly when I use my touch pad on my laptop. Inevitably, it moves the page I am working on, right or left, up or down, or even diagonally. Then I can’t get it to go back to where I want it. It is frustrating me to death. I’ve even tried doing a restore and rebooting, but nothing has worked. Help!

1. SwissMz

The pop up little scroll bar drives me crazy.  I finally figured it out.  Open the touch pad control 'synaptics pointing device' icon in the lower right tray. It is red with a white swirl.  Click on it and A box pops up and you have to point over "pointing device properties.  At that time make sure the 'tap to click is checked. the mouse control panel appears.  on thr upper right tab one tab has the red logo.  click it, thr control for that devce appears.  click the line  in the box that says "synaptics Touch pad V7.4.  It will open another dialog box,  For the synapti Touch pa V7,4
    select the , The feature treee appears,  click each item down the tree until the "scrolling Reigon presents.  An animation of thee touch pad appears with adjustable boundary lines.  These lines demark the active area of the touch pad where the scrolling feature is active.  Adjust the boundary lines to the far right edge and lowes possible edge.  this pushes the scroll feature off the finger pad, effectively deactivating bevause the feature is eliminated from the pad. 

Thank you for sharing your solution, SwissMz!

2. Vonhindy

I have the same problem and I have a Toshiba laptop with Windows 7

Beth,

what model laptop and what version of Windows are you using?