How can I stop a program from launching at Windows boot?

James October 13, 2010

Every time I log in, my CPU starts a list of programs as everyone does. One of which is Advanced System Care. I love the software but don’t need it starting up.

It’s not in a startup list, MsConfig, or even in the registry startup list. I have searched iobits forums and the internet in general. I have sifted through its options too. I am extremely frustrated.

How do I get this to not start up?

1. Drovesjat

I just figured it out. One of the earlier posters was correct. MSConfig, but instead of going to Startup, goto Services. It's listed as a service that automatically runs when windows starts. Disable it there.

2. Drovesjat

Sorry I don't have any input myself, I'm currently trying to figure out how to stop it myself, but it amazes me with some of these comments. The original post clearly states he checked msconfig and the "Startup" tab, yet people are responding telling him to do that. Talk about lack of literacy.

Use AnVir Task Manager. It is one of the best.

4. Crjoles

A super usefull program that we install where i work at radioshack: CC cleaner. get it from cnet.com, it's a free download. when you install it, there's an option on the left that you can click and it will show all the programs that run at startup (tons that i didn't know my computer even had) and then you just check them and disable. really easy.

5. Akshay

Click-
    *Run(in start button)
    *Type "msconfig"
    *Go to the tab at the end named startup
    *Remove ticks from the things u don't want to come up @ startup
    *Click OK and Reboot
    +Warning: If you blindly remove programs from the startup list, you may lose some system functionality.

Hi
    If you have installed it on your pc then open advanced system care and go to option and there is box in general setting that says Execute at windows startup.

otherwise if you dont have or deleted advanced system care then downloaded it again and instal then do a cleanup then uninstal it again.

7. Apsteny

Autoruns (MS Russinovich) probably the most advanced utility of these. But in this as there is danger, you can accidentally disconnect anything needed to run Windows.
    I suggest you try Starter 5.6.2.9. Simple, clear, comfortable and has everything you need (management of all the startup registry keys, applications, services, drivers), no need install.

8. Josh Fox

Is it in the startup folder? Click Start > Programs > Startup. If it's there, you could right-click and delete it.

You might want to check to see if it's registered as a service. In MSCONFIG, go to the Services tab, click the box in the bottom right to hide all Microsoft services, and see if it's listed there.

You might want to give Autoruns a look to find out where it's coming from.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

• jhpot

I have to second the Autoruns recommendation. Amazing application.