How can I stop Outlook Express 6 spellchecker from wanting to install Microsoft Photo Premium 10?

Ben May 27, 2010

Outlook Express 6 spellchecker attempts to install Microsoft Photo Premium 10 – requesting an installation disc. I don’t use this software and don’t want it and don’t know why the spellchecker should want or need it.

I’m assuming this is a bug – any idea how I can get rid of it? This has happened since I’ve changed my broardband supplier (from tiscali to talktalk) and deleted and re-entered my email accounts. Thanks. Ben.

1. Alex Krenvalk

I know an interesting application which works with OE emails. The software solved my old issues with emails for seconds and free of charge as far as I remembered - outlook express 6 problems. The tool showed me how it could export repaired messages to separate files of eml format. Moreover the utility helped some of my friends and one of them presented me a gift.

Outlook Express does not have a spell checker. It can make use of the spell checker in Microsoft Office 95 or later, or Microsoft Works (later versions, which include Microsoft Word) if present. However, a system file csapi3t1.dll that is required in order to make use of the spell checker is not installed by Windows XP.Tip: You may be able to see whether or not csapi3t1.dll is being used by Outlook Express by clicking on Help, About.Obtain a copy of the missing file csapi3t1.dll and place it in the folder "C:Program FilesCommon FilesMicrosoft SharedProof".Method 1Click Start, Run, type msconfig and hit Enter. When the System Configuration Utility starts, click the button captioned Expand File.... In the Expand One File from Installation Source dialog box type the name of the file you want to restore (e.g. csapi3t1.dll), select the location to restore from (this will either be your Windows XP CD or a folder named i386 on your hard disk) and enter the name of the folder where the restored file should go (C:Program FilesCommon FilesMicrosoft SharedProof). Then click Expand.After have done this, you may need to restart Windows. You should also verify that "Always check spelling" is enabled in Tools, Options, Spelling.If you can't find an i386 folder, you might have a copy of csapi3t1.dll somewhere on your Microsoft Office CD. Copies may also be extracted from the file mailnews.cab in an Internet Explorer 5.0 or 5.5 distribution set, the file win98_27.cab on a Windows 98 CD, or the file Win_10.cab on a Windows Me CD.Method 2Download a copy of the file by clicking on this link. Just run the downloaded file to install it into its usual location.Further things to tryWe sometimes receive reports from people who have followed the above steps and still can't get spell checking to work. If that is the case, here are some other things to try: * Try copying csapi3t1.dll to the Outlook Express folder instead. Some readers have reported that this works when all else has failed. * Locate the files ctapi3t2.dll and chapi3t1.dll in a folder named Proof on your Microsoft Office CD and copy them to the ...SharedProof folder. * If you are using Microsoft Office 97 and the language is English, locate the files mssp232.dll and mssp2_en.lex in a folder named Proof on your Microsoft Office CD and copy them to the …SharedProof folder. If you are using a different version of Office or Works, locate the Proof folder on the CD and copy the files with names beginning "mssp..." to the ...SharedProof folder. Note that the .lex files are dictionaries, and some of them will be for languages that you aren't using. * Open Control Panel, Regional Settings. Check under Regional Options that the language selected is the same as that used by Microsoft Office, i.e. English (United States) or English (United Kingdom). * Open Outlook Express, Tools, Options, Spelling tab and check that the language selected there is the same as selected above. (One reader from an English-speaking region outside the US found selecting English (United States) solved the problem.) * Using the Registry Editor, expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, SOFTWARE, Microsoft, Shared Tools and check that the value SharedFilesDir contains "C:Program FilesCommon FilesMicrosoft Shared" or whatever is the parent of your Proof folder. The full long filename and the backslash at the end of the path are both important. You can download a file oeproof.reg (right-click the link and select Save Target As...) and then double-click it to do this automatically, but only use this .reg file ONLY if your Proof folder is in C:Program Files, not some other location. * If all of the above are correct, and spell checking still doesn't work, try uninstalling and then reinstalling Microsoft Office or Microsoft Works.

• Ben

Thanks smokey99. Checked Oulook Express Help, About, to see if file csapi3t1.dll was being used. It was - but there was no version number or path being displayed. Checked that the file existed in C:Program FilesCommon FilesMicrosoft SharedProof - it did exist. So I ignored the two methods in the solution to recover the file and went to the 'other things to try' list.
      I copied the file from the Proof folder to the Outlook Express folder and restarted the PC. I then checked Oulook Express Help, About, again and the file was still listed except now showing a version number and a path (to Outlook Expess). But....alas, still didn't solve or change the problem in any way.

So, I'm now down to re-installing from who knows where - I think I'll just have to put up with bad spelling. But thanks to you Smokey99 for the effort.
      Incidentally - the microsoft photo folder comes right after the outlook express folder when viewed in windows explorer....but no, can't be relevent

@Smokey: Thank you very much for this elaborate explanation!

@Ben: Was this answer helpful? Did it fix your problem?

• Ben

In reply to Tina - No. No. See previous response for details.