How do I stop OS X Lion from reconnecting a shared drive with every new Finder window?

Nhan Nguyen April 12, 2012

Any time a new OS X Lion Finder window is opened, a network share (shown under SHARED in Finder’s sidebar) is automatically reconnected (let’s call it network.drive) even if I just ejected/disconnected it seconds before. This particular network share resides on a Windows server.

I’ve checked in System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Items and there is no link to a network drive that my computer maps to on my work network. I’ve even removed it from my Connect to Server list and Keychain (though it reappears in Keychain when a new Finder window appears!). When I’m not on my work network, Finder is slowed to a crawl, likely because it’s attempting to reconnect to that shared drive.

How can I stop this drive from reconnecting?

1. Nhan Nguyen

Hi all,

After hours and hours of banging my head against this, I decided it was hurting productivity to keep troubleshooting. I went ahead and made a new account and copied over whatever files I needed, and the problem's gone. If I get more time to go back and troubleshoot some more, and get a positive result, I'll post it here.

2. Peter Gray

This may be rote but:

Navigate to the Finder Menu
    -Select Preferences from the menu
    -General (if not already selected)
    -Verify that "New Finder windows show" is set to something like Macintosh HD or your home folder.

Good luck!

* Edited, sorry I missed the part about using it at home.

Is it possible the machine is bound to the company infrastructure e.g. Portable Home Directories? In that case a preferences list enforced by the directory could cause the share to appear all the time.

• Nhan Nguyen

Hi Mike,

I wish it were to help narrow it down! My work's IT department currently doesn't bind Macs to our network.

I think your best option is looking in Console App (Application/Utilities) in the system.log

Search respectively filter for the share name. This should give you the process triggering the connection.

It could be "stuck" in some process e.g. the local directory service.

• Nhan Nguyen

Thanks, I believe this will reveal the culprit! I opened a new Finder window and naturally the share didn't attempt to reconnect. As the saying goes, a watched pot will not boil.

But with Console.app, I will catch it. Thank you!

try to clean your MAC Preferences files (.plist).
    1. Open the Finder and select your user name.
    2. Open the Library folder and then the Preferences folder.
    3. Try to find out which program is doing this and delete the plist file.
    4. To delete the file, Control+click it and choose Delete.
    Don’t delete preferences files if you don’t know what program they’re associated with!
    http://echoone.com/tips/how-to-delete-preferences

• Nhan Nguyen

Thanks for the tip! I've been digging through the .plist files, hoping to find one with a reference to that network location, but no luck so far.